Landrover - the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I didn't actually see many people cycling or walking up there so it would be a safe bet to say that it wasn't suitable for either...the car took it in its stride though, and I never miss a day becaause of bad weather whilst owning the 4x4. I've already stated I bring people in who would otherwise not be able to get herein extreme conditions.

You didn't see anyone walking up there in the dark? Amazing!

Do you feel more manly now you've been up there?

Linford

[QUOTE 2273808, member: 45"]Then again, it might just be down to the fact that nobody needed to go up there...[/quote]

You didn't 'need' to hire a Disco, you could have just ferried them around in the Fabia which you stated a few posts back has no problem with the weather conditions. I'm sorry, but i the same way you are refusing to acknowledge justification for my use, exactlyt eh same can be said for yours. Your workers have legs at the end of the day. Unless they are emergency services or farmers as you assert !

[QUOTE 2273787, member: 9609"]Unfortunately most people don't give a bugger on the footprint they are leaving.[/quote]

why would a vehicle's driven-wheel configuration influence footprint..?

4WD = Low range and High Range gearing
AWD = Only high range gearing
Part-time 4WD: No centre differential.
Permanent 4WD:. No two wheel drive mode. System is equipped with a centre differential, and hence is safe to use on all surfaces. All four wheels are powered all of the time (usually 50/50 front and rear axles). This is arguably the best system since the torque split ratio does not change and is the most predictable. All wheels "help out" all of the time and this stabilises the vehicle + improves handling. : MB M-class SUV, the Range/Land Rovers.
Full-time 4WD: Basically permanent 4WD but with a 2WD mode. Jeep selct trak as fitted to cherokees
Permanent AWD: Basically permanent 4WD but without low range gearing. Examples include the Audi Quattro AWD system, the MB's 4-matic AWD system.
Full-time AWD: System is active at all times, however in most cases, the one set of wheels (usually the rears) only receive 5-10% of the engine's power unless slippage occurs. At that point, power is progressively transfered to the opposite axle to help out. Some systems can transfer power to the rear upon acceleration to improve traction.

in a nutshell.

Someone has too much time on their hands. Allow me to propose something equally as valid:

4WD - four wheels are driven. Selectability and gear range is irrelevant.
AWD - all wheels are driven, regardless of number. Selectability and gear range is irrelevant.

subaqua

What’s the point
Given you were towing that 10 metre rib illegally with an undersized amnd underweight vehicle, I don't really rate your maths either mister :laugh:
you are indeed more stupid than i originally estimated . and again your searching of the web for info lets you down.

Linford

[QUOTE 2273833, member: 45"]That's not the reality, so you can stop where the bold ended.[/quote]

Were they so super morbidly obese that they couldn't fit in a Fabia ?

I'm sure you said you had no problem getting around in it.

Additionally, you have stated in the past that farmers or people visiting farms don't need 4x4's

You seem to have had a change of mind since then. Why couldn't you have hired a £14.5k 4x4 Panda instead of a fully loaded £53k Discovery ?

I am just questioning your double standards, as you see fit to justify your own use but then question everyone elses motives.

subaqua

What’s the point
Someone has too much time on their hands. Allow me to propose something equally as valid:

4WD - four wheels are driven. Selectability and gear range is irrelevant.
AWD - all wheels are driven, regardless of number. Selectability and gear range is irrelevant.
because its not quite right in the context is it.
and no not too much time- just a good engineering understanding of vehicles and their systems ;)

Linford

you are indeed more stupid than i originally estimated . and again your searching of the web for info lets you down.

This is a serious thread establishing standards...or double standards as it is manifesting.
I guess you still haven't forgiven me for exposing your illegal boat moving exercises, so I am not surprised you still feel the sting. Please start another thread on CA&D if you wish to be abusive. Your trolling is spoiling it for those of us who don't.

subaqua

What’s the point
This is a serious thread establishing standards...or double standards as it is manifesting.
I guess you still haven't forgiven me for exposing your illegal boat moving exercises, so I am not surprised you still feel the sting. Please start another thread on CA&D if you wish to be abusive. Your trolling is spoiling it for those of us who don't.

can i suggest you actually read all posts in threads you post on properly , or is that a little too difficult a concept to grasp . I am not stinging and it is you who should not be fed .

damn I fed you again

[QUOTE 2273866, member: 9609"]In general 4x4s are much bigger and heavier than other vehicles designed for personal transport. And due to all manner of complicated sciencey sort of stuff, bigger heavier vehicles use more fuel than smaller lighter vehicles.[/quote]

so would it be ok to swap a 4WD Toyota RAV4 for a 2WD Merc S-Class - you know, the one with a 6-litre engine..?

Linford

[QUOTE 2273866, member: 9609"]In general 4x4s are much bigger and heavier than other vehicles designed for personal transport. And due to all manner of complicated sciencey sort of stuff, bigger heavier vehicles use more fuel than smaller lighter vehicles.[/quote]

Moving a heavy trailer or caravan requires a Heavy towing vehicle to stay within the law. I think you will find that many people carriers have weights approaching that of 4x4's (indeed all vehicles are getting heavier) The transmission arrangelent of a 4x4 has its own mass, and that is the penalty you get if you require a 4x4. Do you object to people carriers or all vehicles with AWD transmission ?

[QUOTE 2273895, member: 9609"]Can I refer you to the words "In general" that I had used in my statement.[/quote]

ok - so would you be happy with that swap 'in general'...??

Linford

can i suggest you actually read all posts in threads you post on properly , or is that a little too difficult a concept to grasp . I am not stinging and it is you who should not be fed .

damn I fed you again

Don't expect me to answer any of your claims or assertions on this thread. Start one in CA&D if you want to argue the toss. I'll happily do it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom