Lap tops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve had only good experiences with Lenovo Thinkpads over the years. Well built, very easy to maintain (remove cover and have access to memory slots, disc bay, fan etc). They are very popular with reps and companies where a robust machine is required. They are workhorses.

My HP, OTOH. What a piece of crap from a maintenance POV. Fan on the lower side of the motherboard and soldered in position. Uneconomic to repair.

I picked up 2 Lenovo Thinkpads las year which were ex-fleet machines for less than £200. Core i5, 8 Gig RAM, multitude of ports and fitted SSDs in both. Totally reliable (one being used at Uni with less than kid glove treatment) and great keyboards

Independent YouTube reviews attest to their high quality
The tabs and slates I know nothing about but see many complaints about on the net. The laptops i know a lot about, I have owned or been given use of most of the Thinkpad line since 2002. I still use a T61 (the one with the nVidia GPU of death) and it is still a capable machine. The machine I am typing this on is a 5 year old T420 that has lived without case or bag under the front seat of my car for years. I have stripped Thinkpads to put more powerful processors in, to swap out peripheral cards, to effect socket repairs and the chassis quality is second to none with no glued down parts or other "no user serviceable parts" nonsense.
The only other laptops with durable chassis, hinges and casings are from the semi rugged Dell range and of course Pana' Toughbooks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think in a nutshell, HDDs tend to be more reliable for many read/writes but offer poorer performance and aren't as resistant to being dropped or exposed to heat.
Indeed...!

The main thing is to avoid hard knocks. I warned my niece about the risk of damage to the HDD in her laptop because she used to slam the lid shut and then toss the thing on the sofa while Windows was shutting down. She ignored my advice and carried on doing it. The HDD failed a couple of weeks later! :okay:
:wacko::banghead:

Smudge

Veteran
What do you use it for? If for web browsing, posting on here, emails and the odd document you could save a ton of money by going for a chromebook. No ms office but if you're not typing pro documents you don't need it.
Many are "convertible" which means the screen flips over and turns it into a tablet with a touch screen.
They are fast as they run on Chrome which is a light and have mmc memory, better ones have SSD.
Check out the vids on YouTube.

It was a revelation to me when i first used a Chromebook after years of using Windows laptops. Wont ever go back to Windows.
Still using the same Chromebook i bought 4 yrs ago.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You need a connection as it's a web based system but you can still access all your files and photos as long as not stored in the cloud.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What happens to a Chromebook if you don't have internet access, is it still useable?.
Have a look at this video for it's capabilities;

View: https://youtu.be/7zqNbcQ8JHQ

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
This chrome book is interesting but I think I’ll stick with the HP I’ve chosen , or maybe go back to a Mac ,
a lot of what was said went over my head to be honest,

mustang1

Guru
hi , I’m after buying a new laptop, I’ve always had MacBook , but may go over to one with windows set up , what would be comparable to an MB Pro ?
You're going to hate moving to windows. Especially when those pesky freeware items keep nudging you to install stuff and the solution people tell you is to reinstall windows.

And then you're going to wonder why windows keeps telling you stupid irrelevant information. At first you will be ok with it but after a while it will drain you down.

For a while, people will convince you that you get better hardware specification with Windows laptop given a certain prove point but then you will come down to the realization that is not all about spec.

Just sayin.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You're going to hate moving to windows. Especially when those pesky freeware items keep nudging you to install stuff and the solution people tell you is to reinstall windows.

And then you're going to wonder why windows keeps telling you stupid irrelevant information. At first you will be ok with it but after a while it will drain you down.

For a while, people will convince you that you get better hardware specification with Windows laptop given a certain prove point but then you will come down to the realization that is not all about spec.

Just sayin.
+1. I currently don't have a working Windows system, since my previously dual-booting Mac Pro decided not to boot Windows in any way shape or form (long story..). But when I do use it, it reminds me why I prefer the Mac OS…The clunkiness of some of the interface. The nagging of User Access Control ('Do you wish to let this program run?' 'Yes, that's why I double-clicked it you stupid thing'). The updates that seem to take forever & run when it wants to run them. And on, and on…

Top Bottom