Lap tops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could see a Chromebook being great for my son as well for his homework.

The ability to run Linux natively as well just seals the deal.
And it's cheap too.

I was just reading that there are offline apps which access/store data locally until a connection is established and then it is uploaded to the cloud.
Yes tis true.
I do a lot of route planning on my chromebooks.
The app extension or whatever I use for editing the gpxs works totally offline.
You can work on docs offline as well.

That looks great!.

I despise Windows, it is just bloatware and will eventually clock even the most all singing and dancing machine up.

Could see a Chromebook being great for my son as well for his homework.

The ability to run Linux natively as well just seals the deal.
+1 for chromebooks.
I have two.
I would choose one which runs android apps NOW.
(AS OPPOSED to promised)
A list here
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

May come in handy.

Allows me to run osmandplus on one of my chromebooks.
All offline.
All chromebooks sync with android tabs and phones on the same account, giving you access to all the same cloud storage. And web bookmarks.
Which allowed me to paste that link above even though I am typing this on an android tab.
My chromebooks have auto updated probably hundreds of times, no loss of performance.
One of the best tech things which ever happened to me was my windows laptop buggering itself up on update. Went to a sleek chromebook costing about £170 and never looked back. The second one cost me £99.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
227F195C-3D81-48FC-B267-43F4E9647583.jpeg

I’ve ended up buying this , direct from HP, delivered tomorrow sometime, I’d say I’d rather have gone down the Mac route, and the Chromebooks looked interesting, but .......
any way one thing I didn’t notice was the fact it’s got an Hdd +SSD,
can’t say if this is beneficial or not myself but it’s got a large amount of memory that’s for sure ,

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
View attachment 477638

I’ve ended up buying this , direct from HP, delivered tomorrow sometime, I’d say I’d rather have gone down the Mac route, and the Chromebooks looked interesting, but .......
any way one thing I didn’t notice was the fact it’s got an Hdd +SSD,
can’t say if this is beneficial or not myself but it’s got a large amount of memory that’s for sure ,
That looks mighty fine.:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just received an email from Microsoft reminding me that Windows 7 support finishes in January 2020. That is the OS on my old Dell D430, so it sounds like a good time to install an alternative OS. Bearing in mind the discussions above, it would be interesting to put a version of Chrome OS on it. THIS looks a good place to start?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not full HD, no SSD, and heavy!

PS I suppose it depends what you want to do with it. If you won't be carrying it about much then the weight doesn't matter, and if you don't need it to be quick then lack of an SSD might not either. As for screen resolution - I'd prefer full HD these days, but that may not bother you. I'm typing this on a laptop which isn't full HD and it does the job, but I use my other laptop which IS full HD when image quality is important and keyboard quality ISN'T!

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not full HD, no SSD, and heavy!

PS I suppose it depends what you want to do with it. If you won't be carrying it about much then the weight doesn't matter, and if you don't need it to be quick then lack of an SSD might not either. As for screen resolution - I'd prefer full HD these days, but that may not bother you. I'm typing this on a laptop which isn't full HD and it does the job, but I use my other laptop which IS full HD when image quality is important and keyboard quality ISN'T!
it would be sat on a mini pc desk , used as main pc for house as my lad would inherit my current one as he wants a laptop but i dont trust him to look after a new one.
I had considered mini tower ?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8646019

Top Bottom