Laptop advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One year ago I jumped ship and bought a Chromebook. I love it, for what little I do on a laptop it is perfect.
I love the fact that as soon as I open the lid it is up and running within a few seconds, none of this waiting about malarkey and the battery life is brilliant.
Chromebooks are not for everyone, depends on your requirements.
The one that I bought, direct / on-line from the HP website is the 14a-na0005na.
If you are interested and tempted to buy DO NOT pay £348.98. The price varies and it has been a lot cheaper than that price and it may drop for Black Friday.

Me too. Bought a chrome book for £160 a year ago and it's been great for spreadsheets browsing and streaming.

If you're not doing complicated stuff have a look at the Chromebooks.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for all the advice but it's a laptop she wants.

Emanresu

As a starting point, what spec did she have for the other computer? Is there a need for a faster one; or a bigger screen; or more storage. Bells, whistle, software etc.

Best to find a starting point and work from there.

I tend to use HP and buy direct from their site. Sometimes instead of paying all up front, I use Klarna and pay over 3 with zero interest. Also if you do buy, use a credit card to protect yourself in case something goes wrong. Lots of companies fold just after Xmas when they've maxed the income and the bills arrive in the new year.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
If it's just documents and storing artwork a Chromebook would work perfectly. Store everything on the Google drive. Sorted.
She's always doing work on her knee,typing documents etc and prefers a Laptop...daughter has a apple tablet and she isn't keen on it,as in being comfortable typing on it.Prefers the feel of a laptop if that makes sense.

If she is interchanging documents with other users its best to find out what applications they are using. Google Docs and even Microsofts own web apps often having difficulties displaying Word documents, for example, correctly.

As I understand it native Word and Excel wont run on a Chromebook.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
If she is interchanging documents with other users its best to find out what applications they are using. Google Docs and even Microsofts own web apps often having difficulties displaying Word documents, for example, correctly.

As I understand it native Word and Excel wont run on a Chromebook.
Yes thanks definitely word though.Ill have a word when she's home.

Gwylan

Veteran
Did somebody mention the software?

Decide which of the options you major on. Can make a difference to the total price.

Microsoft, all we know and loathe.
Google, eccentric, if you are used to MS. Machines are good, but
Apple, expensive, different, like Marmite, the dark side for me.

Expect to have to buy, pay for software. The deal you can get might swing your choice

si_c

Guru
If it's for work I'd suggest getting something a little better than the one you indicated in the first post (it's currently out of stock anyway). If working then I'd suggest a minimum of 16gb of RAM, Windows will use up at least 4gb, and once you've opened Chrome that's the rest of it gone.

Less memory will result in a slower less responsive device and it's worth spending the extra money on.

With black friday around the corner it's worth looking at deals, particularly the direct to consumer ones.

A quick look on the Lenovo website (really good laptops, especially the thinkpad ones) rounds up this:

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpade/e15-g2/20tes7kj01

The processor won't be much faster than the Acer you linked - not that it matters for light office work - but overall it looks to be a better machine, especially at that price.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
If it's for work I'd suggest getting something a little better than the one you indicated in the first post (it's currently out of stock anyway). If working then I'd suggest a minimum of 16gb of RAM, Windows will use up at least 4gb, and once you've opened Chrome that's the rest of it gone.

Less memory will result in a slower less responsive device and it's worth spending the extra money on.

With black friday around the corner it's worth looking at deals, particularly the direct to consumer ones.

A quick look on the Lenovo website (really good laptops, especially the thinkpad ones) rounds up this:

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpade/e15-g2/20tes7kj01

The processor won't be much faster than the Acer you linked - not that it matters for light office work - but overall it looks to be a better machine, especially at that price.
Thanks looks good....next stupid question sorry.
When I click on the link for the Lenovo above it says no operating system? Does that mean you have to purchase something more ,Like windows or something.
Thanks

Alex321

Veteran
Thanks looks good....next stupid question sorry.
When I click on the link for the Lenovo above it says no operating system? Does that mean you have to purchase something more ,Like windows or something.
Thanks

You would think that, but further down it says:
Buy this PC and get a Free upgrade to Windows 11 when available. 1
1 Upgrade rollout plan is being finalized and is scheduled to begin late in 2021 and continue into 2022. Specific timing will vary by device.

Top Bottom