Laptop advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Yes, it should come with Windows, if not you can get a license online for around a tenner.

I should stress, that this was just the first decent looking laptop I found, not necessarily a recommendation to buy! Worth checking out what else is on offer at the moment, it's a good time to buy generally as the PC market is in a bit of a slump.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yes, it should come with Windows, if not you can get a license online for around a tenner.

I should stress, that this was just the first decent looking laptop I found, not necessarily a recommendation to buy! Worth checking out what else is on offer at the moment, it's a good time to buy generally as the PC market is in a bit of a slump.
Go on then....when you've a minute give me a link 😁

bobzmyunkle

You can run an unregistered version of Windows for free. No real drawback as far as I'm aware.
There again if you're buying new just get one with Windows installed.

si_c

Guru
Go on then....when you've a minute give me a link 😁

https://www.hrkgame.com/en/

This is the one I use, I've not had any problems redeeming a key. There is also VIP-SCDKey which apparently has a good reputation as well but does seem to be more expensive, others exist as well

Essentially you're buying a CD key from the global market where prices are not as high as the EU/UK/US so you get a big discount for the same product. I grabbed a full copy of office and Windows 11 for under £20. No problems activating or adding to my microsoft account.

Dadam

You can run an unregistered version of Windows for free. No real drawback as far as I'm aware.
There again if you're buying new just get one with Windows installed.

There are many drawbacks of using unregistered Windows. The inability to personalise Windows, constant nag screens, a persistent watermark you can't get rid of, lack of functionality and updates limited to critical security patches, not quality of life updates or bug fixes.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
https://www.hrkgame.com/en/

This is the one I use, I've not had any problems redeeming a key. There is also VIP-SCDKey which apparently has a good reputation as well but does seem to be more expensive, others exist as well

Essentially you're buying a CD key from the global market where prices are not as high as the EU/UK/US so you get a big discount for the same product. I grabbed a full copy of office and Windows 11 for under £20. No problems activating or adding to my microsoft account.
The link doesn't work for me sorry....but thanks 👍

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
As kindly suggested by @Grant Fondo anyone see any downsides to this ? Love the way it's been left down to me to decide when I don't use it ! Thanks 😁
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len...-windows-11-pro-laptop-82yu00fvuk/version.asp

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
@Adam4868 what software does Mrs 4868 want to use, because a new windows laptop won’t come with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc)?

These days most software is subscription based and, from memory, Office 365 for personal use is about £60 a year. That’s every year. If she uses anything more exotic then the subscription costs start to rack up. For example, I have an Adobe Creative subscription. that comes in at about £25/month.

There are always freeware alternatives or, if you want to stick it to the man then I believe snide software can be obtained at your own risk. Either way, buying the laptop may not be the only expense.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
@Adam4868 what software does Mrs 4868 want to use, because a new windows laptop won’t come with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc)?

These days most software is subscription based and, from memory, Office 365 for personal use is about £60 a year. That’s every year. If she uses anything more exotic then the subscription costs start to rack up. For example, I have an Adobe Creative subscription. that comes in at about £25/month.

There are always freeware alternatives or, if you want to stick it to the man then I believe snide software can be obtained at your own risk. Either way, buying the laptop may not be the only expense.
Thanks Bollo...at this rate going to have to go on Currys chat bot 😁

Mike_P

Guru
Also most laptops have W11 home edition on them. If any reason W11 pro is needed the requisite "key" can be obtained on line from various sellers, presumably OEM suppliers, for less than £10. Did my own last night to see how the Home Office function of the new TV works. Once entered the laptop did an update to add the extra functions

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
As kindly suggested by @Grant Fondo anyone see any downsides to this ? Love the way it's been left down to me to decide when I don't use it ! Thanks 😁
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len...-windows-11-pro-laptop-82yu00fvuk/version.asp
I'd avoid, the processor is fine, but 8GB of memory really isn't enough for Windows 11 Pro, you really do need 16GB and I can't find anywhere that says the memory is upgradeable on this device. Even with light productivity tasks it's likely to become bogged down over time and shorten the usable life of the device.

Top Bottom