Laptop anti virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got my laptop up and running after not using it for 18 months, but my mcafee anti virus is out of date now. What do you all use on yours, I've previously had the free version of avg, but is the built in windows defender just as good? I'm on windows 8.1. Total tech numpty so please answer as if you are talking to a small child ^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Built in windoez one is fine !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Broughtonblue I find Windows Defender more than good enough for my stable of PCs. If you really want McAfee, I can give you McAfee Total Protection for free. It came bundled with an Office 365 subscription and I will never use it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suggest you update your thinking.

Good point - existing Mac users get the latest operating system for free.

So that's free and superior vs expensive and rubbish.

Hard choice.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Good point - existing Mac users get the latest operating system for free.

So that's free and superior vs expensive and rubbish.

Hard choice.

I suggest you update your thinking on OSs too. Windows updates have been free for quite a while too.

I am a Mac and PC user, each have their benefits and disadvantages, but espousing the notion that Macs cannot get a virus is a tad disingenuous.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suggest you update your thinking on OSs too. Windows updates have been free for quite a while too.

I am a Mac and PC user, each have their benefits and disadvantages, but espousing the notion that Macs cannot get a virus is a tad disingenuous.

I thought it obvious my post wasn't entirely serious.

Having said that, I've had my Mac for 10 years now and not had any virus problems.

My bruvver who has a small computing business reckons for Windows users the included Defender does the job.

I also have a Chromebook which doesn't have anti-virus software, or perhaps more accurately, there's no user control over it.

The various Windows anti-virus software packages with their requirement for the user to download and update are looking increasingly quaint.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just got my laptop up and running after not using it for 18 months, but my mcafee anti virus is out of date now. What do you all use on yours, I've previously had the free version of avg, but is the built in windows defender just as good? I'm on windows 8.1. Total tech numpty so please answer as if you are talking to a small child ^_^
Having just gone through all that, also with windows 8, also being a complete tech numpty........my research told me the following.
Windows 10....Defender is best.
Windows 8.... AVG shades it.
I tried to activate Defender and although it seemed to load the 'shield' never showed and I couldnt 'run' it......so I installed AVG and it seems to be doing a good job.
BTW.....I do not like windows 8.

Top Bottom