Laptop anti virus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Windows defender is perfectly good for your needs with the bonus that it's free, doesn't hog system resources and doesn't constantly suggest you go for the premium advanced home pro version.

That being said I run Avast on my desktop because I installed it when it was a Windows 7 machine in 2012 and it's just kept updating itself since and I can't be bothered removing it as it's no real problem. I'm now running Windows 10 which has been updated through Win 8 and 8.1 to get where it is now.

A bigger problem than Antivirus software on all machines is making sure that your browser is up to date, most consumer attack vectors are through websites now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Neither Windows Defender nor Microsoft Security Essentials is sufficient on its own. Use them both together.
I hadn't heard of Microsoft Security Essentials. I just looked it up and it is designed for Win 7/8 so I thought about installing it but... though I am running Win 7 on this laptop, support for it stops in January so I will either upgrade to Win 10 (unlikely, unless Win 10 can run fast enough on very old hardware - Core 2 Duo 1.2 GHz processor, 2 GB RAM?) OR convert the machine to Linux. Meanwhile, I'll stick with Avast for extra protection.

gavgav

Guru
I’ve just uninstalled AVG and gone back to Windows Defender, mainly because I’m sick and tired of AVG trying to get me to upgrade to the premium version.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's an unwritten rule that all computer questions on forums must degenerate into a Mac v Microsoft argument.

As a Mac user I find the concept of anti-virus very quaint.
As a Linux user I find the concept of an operating system with proprietary software using proprietary hardware, propietary interfaces, etc. very quaint. :boxing:
:laugh:

I do have a Windows 10 laptop PC at home also, though, and the Windows Defender running on it seems to do the job.

Mart44

Über Member
Bitdefender here. It always does well in AV comparison tests. A low 'false positive' rate too. Windows Defender is also also comparing fairly well these days though and I'll consider using this when renewal time comes along.

Top Bottom