Laptop password question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have a Toshiba laptop, about 5 years old, but running on W10 with two user profiles.

How do I change the password when I first start it up?

NOT the individual Windows profile passwords.. Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options

Is it a registry hack, or am I just missing something easy in the Settings, somewhere?

Slick

Guru
Does control alt delete not open up a list of options including the password change?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a Toshiba laptop, about 5 years old, but running on W10 with two user profiles.

How do I change the password when I first start it up?

NOT the individual Windows profile passwords.. Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options

Is it a registry hack, or am I just missing something easy in the Settings, somewhere?

Is it a BIOS password you have set? Can you take a photo of the screen?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

@Milkfloat

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

That doesn't look like a Windows authentication dialogue, looks more like 3rd party software on it that is challenging you to authenticate.
It's a password that I set. I want to remove, or change it. I think it was when I first started the laptop setup, years ago

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Pop into your BIOS (you may need to google the manufacturer to see which key presses to use whilst booting) and check to see if you have any passwords set and disable them.

si_c

Guru
There are two possibilities here - but I think it is most likely a bios password so you need to go into the bios and change it there. When the laptop starts up there will be a message that says something like "Press F12 for Setup" - you need to press whatever that key is and then change the password there.

The second option is that there is some additional security software installed that causes a password prompt at boot, but I've discounted that as they usually have the security company logo all over the password prompt screen.

Top Bottom