Laptop password question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I found it!

F12 / safe boot / Toshiba setup utility / bios password / user - de register

Simples 😂

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, folks 👍🏼

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My work laptop security asks me every 12 weeks or so to change it and that's how I do it anyway. :okay:
My work laptop is connected to a 24 widescreen monitor & I now have a separate keyboard. Odd thing is that when I first log in after switching it on, it only accepts the password entered via the laptop keyboard, not the other one. But if I go for lunch & it enters sleep-mode, I can use the standalone keyboard to re-login. My other older laptop never did this so I can only conclude it's the work of our IT dept.

We use a lot of 'cloud' & net based things now that require changing passwords regularly . So that means I have to add a new digit to Farageisacompletetwat every 90 days:whistle:.

Slick

Guru
My work laptop is connected to a 24 widescreen monitor & I now have a separate keyboard. Odd thing is that when I first log in after switching it on, it only accepts the password entered via the laptop keyboard, not the other one. But if I go for lunch & it enters sleep-mode, I can use the standalone keyboard to re-login. My other older laptop never did this so I can only conclude it's the work of our IT dept.

We use a lot of 'cloud' & net based things now that require changing passwords regularly . So that means I have to add a new digit to Farageisacompletetwat every 90 days:whistle:.
Yeah, I'm the same although it's still enough to confuse me at times as I do the same with other work systems but because they are all slightly out of synch, I can never remember what digit goes after tw@t for each system. :laugh:

keithmac

Guru
The joys of using a windows laptop, which is one of the reasons I no longer use them.

Apple gear is all well and good until you need to run Automotive diagnostic tools, then it's just an expensive paperweight..

The separate keyboard will be USB. Your system isn’t loading the USB drivers when you first switch on - that happens later during the boot cycle. When you get back from lunch, your laptop is asleep but the USB drivers are still loaded into the system memory, which is why it works then.

Your older laptop would have, most likely, loaded the drivers at an earlier point in the boot sequence.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The separate keyboard will be USB. Your system isn’t loading the USB drivers when you first switch on - that happens later during the boot cycle. When you get back from lunch, your laptop is asleep but the USB drivers are still loaded into the system memory, which is why it works then.

Your older laptop would have, most likely, loaded the drivers at an earlier point in the boot sequence.
Yes its USB. I thought it just loaded everything on boot up?. I assumed the more advanced models were light years ahead. Seems like a bit of poor software design?. It's an HP, BTW, as is this PC I'm using.

Top Bottom