Laptop repair cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My trusty hp laptop the kids have been using to do schoolwork and its been dropped :sad:
The hinge on one side is jamming and opening the upper case around the screen , i tried gluing the case together but the movement of opening /closing pulls it apart again
Any idea on how much it would cost to fix ?
Also the f1 is stuck on and i had to disable it and left shift c doesnt work

Can you not leave it shut and use an external monitor and keyboard?

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a how long is a piece of string question ring a couple of local places on Monday & ask, with the initial charge it might be more economic to get another new(2nd hand) one

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The keys might be an easy fix, if you have a key removal tool (you can get them on Amazon for a couple of quid) then just pop the keys off and have a look. If you don't have a key, use two plastic levers underneath either side of the key to pop it off. There will be either a conventional round spring or (more likely) two things that look like a couple of bits of straightened paperclip (these are also springs). Clean everything out with a stiff brush or canned air, if anything is sticky use a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol, align the springs properly, pop the key back on. That solves most key issues.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ring up three different PC repair shops (the ones in small shops or their homes, not the big chain stores) and see what they say. My guess is that it's probably beyond economic repair but I could well be wrong. Good luck.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I am a self employed electronic repairer, i don't really do laptops but can tell you it probably isn't worth sending it to repair assuming it is a number of years old. The hinge is probably bent or ripped out of the chassis and realistically will likely call for a replacement chassis. The keyboard could have a number issues. It is almost certainly connected via a ribbon cable which could be the issue or damaged traces/connective pad on the keyboard pcb. A replacement keyboard is probably not too expensive nor an involved job in many instances. I would do as suggested and hook up to an external monitor/tv and use a USB keyboard and leave it open. If you feel confident you could try getting your hands on a scrap model of your laptop and make a working one again. It will be a time consuming and fiddly job...

Perhaps the school might be able to help get your kids online?

C R

Guru
If you are a bit of a fettled I would find the service manual for the particular model online. The manual will have detailed assembly instructions, and following those you will be able to work out how everything fits together, and perhaps see if you can fettle a fix for the hinge.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I'd look on ebay amazon get replacement parts and try to repair it yourself. You should be able to find tutorial videos on Youtube. My daughter smashed the screen on her Lenovo Yoga touchscreen laptop that was nearly new. Parts for it from Lenovo were around the same price as the laptop. I took a punt on screen/digitizer assembly off ebay from China for £140. Followed a youtube video, I also bought some cheap pry tools. Used a hairdyrer instead of a heat gun, to release the adhesive on the rear of the screen. When I got the screen out it was exactly the same as the one I paid a fraction of the cost that Lenovo wanted. I've done the same with a smashed screen on an early Iphone and a huawei mobile phone. I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for video tutorials.

Some laptops you can replace just keys, others it's the whole keyboard. It's got to be worth a punt if the parts are reasonable.

Reactions: C R
Which hinge is it? The left hand hinge in HP laptops has the cabling for the screen and webcam inside it so a pain to repair as you’ll need to undo the screen fascia and then the uncllip the hinge covers to get to the hinge.

laptopsdirect.do.uk is a good website for good value laptops. We just purchased a Lenovo v15 Athlon for about £370.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Which hinge is it? The left hand hinge in HP laptops has the cabling for the screen and webcam inside it so a pain to repair as you’ll need to undo the screen fascia and then the uncllip the hinge covers to get to the hinge.

laptopsdirect.do.uk is a good website for good value laptops. We just purchased a Lenovo v15 Athlon for about £370.
right hand

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

How old is it and what did it cost new?

if it’s over 2 years old then it’s probably worth very little.
its a few years old at least 4 +
original specs
1610827551827.png

Top Bottom