Large Saddle Bags for Day Tours or Audax: Carradice v Ortlieb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yesterday I went out on a DIY 200 Audax, or in other words, 12 hours on the bike.

For a change, rather than using my Carradice Barley, I wanted to try out my Ortlieb Saddle Pack which I use on my MTB for a bit of off road touring.

I’ve got to say I wasn’t blown away. Yes it’s very waterproof and aero, but when you constantly need to layer up/down or get food and locks it’s a bit of a faff. Things fall out onto the (wet) ground and you have to straddle the rear of the bike when rolling it back up. The bike did not get the same protection when leaning it up against things. Great for a tour when you might only dive into it at the end of the day. I take a bin bag to lay everything on usually. It is really easy to take on and off the bike and in yesterday’s deluge, everything was dry.

So I’m afraid for the day or on an Audax ride, I prefer my old fashioned Barley. Easy access to food and my lock in the side pockets and easy to get your gubbins from the main compartment without having to remove everything. Happy to use the bag as a protective cushion rather than scratching the bike. I am yet to try it in a biblical downpour.

The Ortlieb Saddle Pack.

2B8AF7E6-52AB-4BAA-BABE-41E7F1F6A62F.jpeg

The Carradice Barley

60640075-BAA9-45A1-B6CD-53AD2C4538D6.jpeg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Go on, aim a hose at the Barley and find out ;)

I don't really understand Ortlieb's decision to make such a big bag rear-loading when Carradice's enduring popularity shows how good top-loading designs are, once the bag projects back far enough to clear the saddle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But can't you remove the Ortleib from the bike easily and remove things on a table or some such? I was thinking of getting one. Specilaized also do something similar.

By the way is that the Burnham made famous by Billericay Dickie Ian Dury? "Oh golly oh gosh come and lie on the couch with a nice bit of posh from Burnham on Crouch".

Crankarm

Guru
Am I missing something? Why not use the rear rack to put a small bag on top or indeed a small pannier? The olde stylee Caradice could actually be attached to the rack if it isn't already. Why not use a dry bag inside it if it isn't water proof?

I was thinking of getting one of those Ortlieb saddle bags or bike packing bags as they are known. They would certainly keep stuff dry and we certainly need waterproof bags in this country.

Is the top tube making contact with the concrete post to prop up the bike? Tsk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
But can't you remove the Ortleib from the bike easily and remove things on a table or some such? I was thinking of getting one. Specilaized also do something similar.".

Absolutely. Perfect for touring, but under the pressure of the clock, I would personally feel this is a faff, especially at night when fatigued. Don't get me wrong, it’s a fantastic bag and of the highest quality expected of Ortlieb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Am I missing something? Why not use the rear rack to put a small bag on top or indeed a small pannier? The olde stylee Caradice could actually be attached to the rack if it isn't already. Why not use a dry bag inside it if it isn't water proof?

I was thinking of getting one of those Ortlieb saddle bags or bike packing bags as they are known. They would certainly keep stuff dry and we certainly need waterproof bags in this country.

Is the top tube making contact with the concrete post to prop up the bike? Tsk.

I’ll put your mind at ease: The bike is leant on a pedal. You are right. The Carradice is hooked through the saddle and rests on the rack. The Ortlieb is a pain for frequent dipping in and out of.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I totally agree with the OP. I have 2 of the Apidura saddlepacks and they are a PIA to get into. So much so that I changed to a Bridge Street Saddle bag at the end of last year and it is excellent. It is on the bike every day and is totally waterproof and takes lots of gear, which is easy to get at. When I am riding I dont feel that its there unlike the swinging Saddlepack.

I think people go for the saddlepacks because of the aerodynamic look. My Bridge Street bag sits behind me and I dont think it is any less aerodynamic than a saddlepack.

http://bridgestreet.cc/

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I totally agree with the OP. I have 2 of the Apidura saddlepacks and they are a PIA to get into. So much so that I changed to a Bridge Street Saddle bag at the end of last year and it is excellent. It is on the bike every day and is totally waterproof and takes lots of gear, which is easy to get at. When I am riding I dont feel that its there unlike the swinging Saddlepack.

I think people go for the saddlepacks because of the aerodynamic look. My Bridge Street bag sits behind me and I dont think it is any less aerodynamic than a saddlepack.

http://bridgestreet.cc/

They look rather good. I do like simple things.

Just to be sure I haven’t cast the Ortlieb in a bad light: Of all the saddle packs I looked at for my MTB, this one requires the least amount of exposed seat post for a good fit for those with smaller bikes or horizontal top tubes. It also has a very good harness system and so long as you stow heaviest items first (tools, food etc) it does not waggle about. It is very stable.

mjr

I'm a bit unconvinced by the quarter-pounder plastic Quick Robbery bracket on the Bridge Street. If you've not got bag loops, can't you just loop straps through the saddle rails - and rear rack if it needs holding further back?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've got a Bridgestreet as well and its great, but I dont like the double straps. What I do like is that its miles away from your legs.
I have never had any problems with the double straps. I can operate them quite easily when its pitch black and I cannot see them.

I did suggest to the sellers that it would be a good idea to offer a lockable Klick fit mounting. They had never been asked for it and for them to do it, they would have to order 100 units. Its an easy change over if I want to do it. I have also added a couple of kevlar loops at the top so I can lock it closed. Eventually, I will be able to go into a shop and leave it on the bike. As it is now. It is simple to take it off the bike and take it into the shop with me.

lane

Veteran
IMG_1187.JPG
Here is what your Elan might look like with a rack pack. I do think I prefer the look of yours with the Barley though. I have tried Ortileb and found the same problem you have experienced. My rack pack has drop down paniers which are useful for me when out with the family or for a short credit card style tour.

mjr

My rack pack has drop down paniers which are useful for me when out with the family or for a short credit card style tour.
My drop-down panniers started to come away where they were attached at the top. I think saddlebags are better because you get more capacity more simply with less fabric weight or stitching to fail.

Top Bottom