Largest tyre width - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I plan on using my Dawes Fox for more commuting. It's had a rebuild including new Shimano 18 speed drive train and some nice handbuilt rims, but I'd prefer use wider tyres.
Now these rims are Mavic Open Sport 700c and on the label there is a wee table for want of a better term, which gives two tyre widths and recommended pressures for each, which are 19mm; 10bar / 146psi and 28mm; 8bar / 117psi. each rim has 36 spokes and is 20mm wide at its external upper edge.

Does this mean though that 28mm is the maximum tyre width I can have on these rims - ?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You're good for up to 32mm from the googling I've done. If you have the clearance that is.

Alan O

Über Member
I plan on using my Dawes Fox for more commuting. It's had a rebuild including new Shimano 18 speed drive train and some nice handbuilt rims, but I'd prefer use wider tyres.
Now these rims are Mavic Open Sport 700c and on the label there is a wee table for want of a better term, which gives two tyre widths and recommended pressures for each, which are 19mm; 10bar / 146psi and 28mm; 8bar / 117psi. each rim has 36 spokes and is 20mm wide at its external upper edge.

Does this mean though that 28mm is the maximum tyre width I can have on these rims - ?
Do you know the internal rim width?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Internal width is generally 5 or 6 mm narrower than the external width.
The Open Sport is 15 mm internal. I'd allow 20 to 32 tyre width on it, but prefer to avoid the end sizes.

Top Bottom