Laser warning light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
"It's vehicles travelling in the same direction as you that cross your path who would see this light," Ms Brooke says. "This helps in your classic blind-spot scenario."
and
"You can be lit up like a Christmas tree and have every light on the market, but ultimately if you're in the vehicle's blind spot, you're still invisible."

She's arguing against herself here. If a driver passing a rider lit like a Christmas tree doesn't register that fact before turning left, the driver won't pay any heed to one more light signal, partcularly one that's down at ground level.

Waste of time in my view.

GC

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm..... People who don't see cyclists wearing bright clothing and showing appropriate lights are unlikely to see a green light on the road in front of them either.
Having said that, anything that helps to make us more visible is worth looking into, but at £125 I think I will give it a miss. If it drops significantly in price I could be interested.

Edit... Must learn to type faster than GC! Not easy on a kindle.

Linford

Hmmmmm..... People who don't see cyclists wearing bright clothing and showing appropriate lights are unlikely to see a green light on the road in front of them either.
Having said that, anything that helps to make us more visible is worth looking into, but at £125 I think I will give it a miss. If it drops significantly in price I could be interested.

Edit... Must learn to type faster than GC! Not easy on a kindle.

How many close passes do you get on your motorbike ?

IMO close passes are caused due to lack of respect, and not because of SMIDSY's
Drivers need to be re educated that it is not OK to skim the bars of cyclists when overtaking at 60+mph

Brandane

Legendary Member
How many close passes do you get on your motorbike ?

IMO close passes are caused due to lack of respect, and not because of SMIDSY's
Drivers need to be re educated that it is not OK to skim the bars of cyclists when overtaking at 60+mph
I don't tend to get ANY passes on the motorbike, unless it's from another motorbike!
I get your point though, car drivers observations tend to sharpen somewhat when they know that you can catch them up with a quick twist of the throttle.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I tend never to go up the inside of vans trucks etc but as I dont live in a big city that choice is easier for me.
I wonder if some cyclists would use this as a license to bomb up the inside imagining that they are safe because of it.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Such a thing might have helped in the situation described here:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/whats-the-legal-situation-here.145046/

but on the other hand, if some cyclists have them, then the temptation for drivers might be to assume that no glowing green bike on the road means that the road is clear.

And I hadn't noticed the price tag when I posted the link. :eek:

Linford

I don't tend to get ANY passes on the motorbike, unless it's from another motorbike!
I get your point though, car drivers observations tend to sharpen somewhat when they know that you can catch them up with a quick twist of the throttle.

As a biker, I thought you'd appreciate the point....in many drivers eyes. the food chain goes like this

Emergency service vehicles with lights on
Any bigger vehicle like a lorry or bus they can't get in front of
Very fast car
Motorbike which looks quick
Car
Cyclist
Pedestrian

Brandane

Legendary Member
As a biker, I thought you'd appreciate the point....in many drivers eyes. the food chain goes like this

Very fast car
Car
Cyclist
Pedestrian
Yes; having driven, or been, all of the above, I tend to agree. However, the HGV drops down a few ranks once they DO manage to get past, and the one finger salute appears out of their window because you (HGV driver) have had the nerve to delay them by 30 seconds.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member

Very fast car
Car
Cyclist
Pedestrian

More like this....

Cyclist
Everyone else

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A waste if time. Especially for city/town commuting cyclists. Yellow sodium street lighting will just negate it's effect as it does to hi-viz.

Top Bottom