Last-minute fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
9-speed Ergos being more-or-less obsolete, I decided, reluctantly, to upgrade to 10. The Omega is now about12 years old and has been through several updates of the equipment hung on it. I sourced levers, cassette, chain and other stuff from various online shops (and my local shop), and these sat in a box for several weeks.

A week before the Mad March 200 I decided, the existing drive-train being decidedly over-the-hill, that the job needed doing before the ride. Then a friend gave me a wheel for an urgent rim transplant, so that came first.

So, the day before the event I stripped down the bike. The rear wheel bearings, cassette-type, were rough, so in went the spare set. I cleaned and re-lubed the freehub. The new sprockets went on one-by-one and looked very shiny (that won't last).

The bar-tape came off, then the levers. I was surprised at the tatty bits of foam under the tape (yes, I must have put them there). The new levers were levered on and set level with the aid of a metal rule. I rolled back the hoods, fitted the cables, and carefully taped them to the bars.

The cables had to be routed to brakes and derailleurs. Oops! Noticed the rear brake blocks were within a mm of worn down to metal. The rear mech was fairly new (and described as 10-speed) so I cleaned it in situ. The left-hand lever was of the newer, one-click-down type, so there would be a bit of faffing to get the alignment dead-right and no rubbing in any gear.

The chainset had to come off to replace the middle ring. I'd decided to go 2 teeth larger (38). One of the hollow bolts split as I reassembled it. Cue a search in the bits box for another.

Then on with the new chain, check length and shorten to fit. I have always joined chains the 'traditional' way, but decided to use the supplied quick-link on the 10-speed.

Adjusting the gears proved a lot easier than I anticipated. A few tweaks and it was clicking up and down sweetly.

On with the bar-tape. Why did I get blue? Perhaps that was what the LBS had in stock. Then finally, at dusk, a quick ride up and down the road, which revealed that the limit screws on the front changer needed tweaking. Other than that everything seemed fine.

The following day I was up at 6.20, pumped up the tyres and got to the start in time for a chat. My first 200 of the year.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
At least you had time to test it ... on my Llanfair 400 last year I was still adjusting the bike whilst on the road :blink:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did some (almost) literally last minute fettling of my low-geared Basso on the morning of the local Spring Into The Dales audax event. That has about 2,250 metres of climbing, including some at over 15%. I managed to get about 500 metres before my new chain slipped on the old cassette. I sprinted home and switched to my much higher-geared Cannondale. It wasn't a great combination, an overweight/unfit ColinJ, steep Yorkshire/Lancashire climbs, and a 39/29 bottom gear ...

What I learned:
  • Last minute fettling is not a good idea. (I stopped doing it!)
  • Obesity and steep hills are not a great combination. (I lost weight!)
  • Steep hills and lack of fitness are also not good. (I got fitter.)
  • Being over-geared is not good. (I put a triple on my Cannondale.)

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I can report that the bike was faultless apart from a rattly small sprocket caused by the limit screw being a touch too far in. The occasional muffed gear change was me getting used to new equipment.

The only thing that did go wrong was my right leg. It gave me increasing pain for more than halfway round until I couldn't walk (luckily I could still pedal). The donation of some Ibuprofen killed the pain. When I finished the leg was okay, and by the time I got home it was fine. Mystery of the miracle cure.

Top Bottom