Last thirty years of nutritional advice is bunkum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Taking generic nutritional advice as 'one size fits all' gospel, is never going to be a good idea. Nutritional advice needs to be tailored to the individual.

Drago

Legendary Member
Supposed to be lamb, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few bonuses have been slipped in.
Funny you say that. The Jehovahs were round the other day. I'd have sent them packing with a dose of birdshot, but the woman was a gorgeous bit of eye candy.

Anyway, they were telling me the reason youngsters grow so tall is because the growth hormones pumped into cattle find their way into the human food chain. Dunno if its true or not.

sidevalve

Über Member
It's all total fantasy. If the scientists just admitted they hadn't got a clue we could all respect them a bit more. TBH I'm waiting until they decide that the ciggies are a cure for cancer.

Julia9054

Guru
The problem is that it is very difficult to do randomised controlled trials on the effects of aspects of people's diet. There are too many other factors to take into account and people lie/misremember.

battered

Guru
The Jehovahs? So you take your nutrition advice from people who believe that the world was created and that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time as mammals?:blush: Their scientific knowledge is bang up to date then, so good luck with that one. Oh, and if I ever need a blood transfusion and can't speak then the answer is "yes please doctor, O pos, whenever you think it's necessary".:smile:

Travs

So you take your nutrition advice from people who believe that the world was created and that dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time as mammals?:blush: Their scientific knowledge is bang up to date then".:smile:

On the flip side of that coin, there is nothing to say that just because someone has religious (or other) belief, that they can't read up on scientific research and quote that.
I have no idea whether its true or not and I'm not putting myself on a side of the fence , but if it helps whatever message they want to spread, it doesn't automatically make it rubbish.

Wafer

Veteran
Sensationalist article about something that isn't brand new but there does seem to be more and more evidence supporting it.

It's seems the Low GI idea, which has been around for 10+years at the very least is gaining more traction/being proven to be more healthy.

A book published last year called the Big Fat Surprise http://thebigfatsurprise.com/ is meant to be very good, covering a lot of the research and what it means for the advice we've been given for a long time.

Another cookbook I picked up recently has various information in it talking about how some of the commonly recommended/popular diets can actually be worse for your health than not dieting at all. The Atkins style no/low carbs is good for short term weight loss, bad for long term health etc...

clid61

Veteran
Eat and drink what you want , exercise more than or equal to your intake, Bingo ! . Im no rocket scientist either , Im Joe Public

Eat and drink what you want , exercise more than or equal to your intake, Bingo ! . Im no rocket scientist either , Im Joe Public

Unfortunately, it's really not as simple as calories in vs calories out. One particular complication comes from the hierarchy which is placed upon the stuff going in by the body's complex biological systems. For one example; Alcohol is a poison, and is dealt with as such by the body. This means all other sources of calories are put on the 'back burner' whilst the alcohol is dealt with. Just after a ride your metabolic rate will be increased, so if you have a couple of scoops with a big meal, after a ride, the alcohol will be dealt with, whilst your M.R. is still relatively high. The rest of the intake will go on hold, until your M.R. has fallen off a bit, and bingo, you've skewed the equation. If you do what I've described often enough, although it looks (on paper) like you'll have a calorie deficit, you could well see your weight increasing (unless the deficit is a few thousand calories).

clid61

Veteran
Unfortunately, it's really not as simple as calories in vs calories out. One particular complication comes from the hierarchy which is placed upon the stuff going in by the body's complex biological systems. For one example; Alcohol is a poison, and is dealt with as such by the body. This means all other sources of calories are put on the 'back burner' whilst the alcohol is dealt with. Just after a ride your metabolic rate will be increased, so if you have a couple of scoops with a big meal, after a ride, the alcohol will be dealt with, whilst your M.R. is still relatively high. The rest of the intake will go on hold, until your M.R. has fallen off a bit, and bingo, you've skewed the equation. If you do what I've described often enough, although it looks (on paper) like you'll have a calorie deficit, you could well see your weight increasing (unless the deficit is a few thousand calories).

Yeah youre right , but i didnt mean living off white lightening cider and greggs !

Wafer

Veteran
Yeah youre right , but i didnt mean living off white lightening cider and greggs !
You could also live off 'low fat' foods and find yourself worse off than someone avoiding 'low fat' foods. So it's not about living off Greggs or not. Not all calories are equal. It is a bit more like rocket science considering part of it is about how quickly different things are 'burnt'.

clid61

Veteran
You could also live off 'low fat' foods and find yourself worse off than someone avoiding 'low fat' foods. So it's not about living off Greggs or not. Not all calories are equal. It is a bit more like rocket science considering part of it is about how quickly different things are 'burnt'.

Yeah I know , sweeping statement sorry ! please dont burn me at the stake !

tyred

Legendary Member
SImple rule of healthy living - if it tastes nice, it's probably bad for you. If it's horrible, it's probably good for you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Eat what you want and what you think you should.
Don't eat too much of either.
Get out on your bike in the fresh air as often as you can.
Wear sunscreen.
I should write a book! ^_^
The trouble is that many people want to eat junk food and think they should. They also don't think that eating it two or three times a day is eating too much of it. And lying for 6 hours in the sun with a few blobs of factor 15 probably isn't going to save their skin either! :okay:

Top Bottom