Lateral flow tests - kits - anyone managed to get any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is why it's taking so long to get rid of. People just not thinking of anyone but themselves - not testing. Carrying on meeting. Not working safely. Then the whole family have it and the NHS resources are taken up.

Imagine if we all thought like that ?

Luckily for you LS we don't.

Sharing generously around the family is one thing - but is it really OK sharing it with colleagues who might unknowingly carry it home to their families (which might contain vulnerable members), total strangers who just happen to be unfortunate enough to be in the path of some selfish brute's infectious breath, while trying to mind their own business ... not in my book it isn't.

He was only able to get a hospital bed to survive covid because the vast majority of us behaved properly.
If we had all been as reckless there would have been no hospital beds available.

Pees me off immensely.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Are people getting mail ordered LFTs thru? local chemists are all out of stock and have been for over a week. so collection code is useless. I did order a box on Frida so hopefully they show up as getting a little short.

In response to some of the comments above - yes they aren't super accurate, but its the best we have and is poor manners not do one before meeting up with people.

Thankfully the vast majority of people ending up in ICU now with Covid are those who haven't vaccinated. Obviously and unfortunately this will include some people who can't (as opposed to won't) have the vaccine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Are people getting mail ordered LFTs thru? local chemists are all out of stock and have been for over a week. so collection code is useless. I did order a box on Frida so hopefully they show up as getting a little short.

In response to some of the comments above - yes they aren't super accurate, but its the best we have and is poor manners not do one before meeting up with people.

Thankfully the vast majority of people ending up in ICU now with Covid are those who haven't vaccinated. Obviously and unfortunately this will include some people who can't (as opposed to won't) have the vaccine.

Yes ordered 2 boxes of 7 and got 4 boxes delivered!

newts

Veteran
Is the claimed inaccuracy of lft's a media hype thing?
What would be an expected accuracy rate for this type of self administered test?
From my own experience with covid, the lateral flow tests on days 1,3 & 5 showed positive within a few seconds of putting the drops into the test (confirmed by positive pcr on day 1). Day 7 showed negative.

JB052

Boxes of 7 self test kits being given out in Central Bedfordshire today.

In my view the biggest problem regarding accuracy of self administered tests is in the sampling/swabbing technique. However those that I know who have had a positive lateral flow result all suggest that the positive indication was almost instant.

OP
OP
Blue Hills

In my view the biggest problem regarding accuracy of self administered tests is in the sampling/swabbing technique. However those that I know who have had a positive lateral flow result all suggest that the positive indication was almost instant.
Isn't the initial colour change and the single line confirmation that a good sample has been obtained?
(Two lines positive of course)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Tried to order LF tests for my father-in-law today; none available for delivery, but was able to reserve a box for collection from the local mini-branch of Boots.

i've seen two Lateral Flow tests (wife & son) that looked negative for at least 10-15 minutes before a faint 2nd line started to appear.
PCR tests confirmed they were positive.

Not sure if their samples were bad, or if they had low viral load, or the LF tests were faulty.

Top Bottom