Lateral rim movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Hello. I recently bought a set of new wheels and on the first ride when I got to my first big hill I found when climbing out of the saddle that the rim would rub on the brake.

View: https://youtu.be/dETK_CjHa_4

This is a video I took of the rim movement when I pull on it.

Is this amount of movent normal and I've simply set the rim brakes to close or is this abnormal?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Carbon. It's a Trek Emonda SL.

spiderman2

Über Member
Hello. I recently bought a set of new wheels and on the first ride when I got to my first big hill I found when climbing out of the saddle that the rim would rub on the brake.

View: https://youtu.be/dETK_CjHa_4

This is a video I took of the rim movement when I pull on it.

Is this amount of movent normal and I've simply set the rim brakes to close or is this abnormal?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

get the same with my fulcrum 5s

I have never heard of them or ridden them the reviews seem ok/Good ish
If you are burly guy i would take it easy , As said above there isn't a great deal of spokes on the wheel .The tyre looks as though it needs changing
I can see the webbing . Is the tyre pressure/s up to a good level ?
If you are still unsure call in at a good LBS to let them check it over .

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I recently bought a set of new wheels . . . Is this amount of [lateral rim] movent (sic) normal?
Hunt Aero Wide
These are good wheels for which you paid good money (£400+?). Ask Hunt - they have a reputation to build/maintain.
I note they have aluminium alloy nipples (ie not brass) assume to achieve 'weight point'. Make sure they stay turnable (1/4 turn and 1/4 turn back every few months).

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

These are good wheels for which you paid good money (£400+?). Ask Hunt - they have a reputation to build/maintain.
I note they have aluminium alloy nipples (ie not brass) assume to achieve 'weight point'. Make sure they stay turnable (1/4 turn and 1/4 turn back every few months).

Hi, yes I've spoken with Hunt who have said that they would be happy to collect them and inspect them.

Could you expand on what you mean by turning the nipples every few months and why?

Top Bottom