Lateral rim movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
I have never heard of them or ridden them the reviews seem ok/Good ish
If you are burly guy i would take it easy , As said above there isn't a great deal of spokes on the wheel .The tyre looks as though it needs changing
I can see the webbing . Is the tyre pressure/s up to a good level ?
If you are still unsure call in at a good LBS to let them check it over .

The tyre is new. The "webbing" in they image is just dirt.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, appreciate the thoughts.

Ajax Bay

Guru
what you mean by turning the nipples every few months and why?
Aluminium nipples can seize on stainless steel spokes. Since brass nipples don't, they are best, but they are a little heavier, which is why people building 'light' wheels sometimes choose to use aluminium ones (also aluminium nipples can be made various colours whereas brass ones can't).
Therefore regular movement of the nipple/spoke interface, with maybe a tiny spot of oil beforehand, on each one, and spin, will mitigate the risk of seized nipples.
Lots of useful information in this thread: rusty-nipples-ok-corroded-but-wheres-the-drama-in-that /and this post
HTH

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Aluminium nipples can seize on stainless steel spokes. Since brass nipples don't, they are best, but they are a little heavier, which is why people building 'light' wheels sometimes choose to use aluminium ones (also aluminium nipples can be made various colours whereas brass ones can't).
Therefore regular movement of the nipple/spoke interface, with maybe a tiny spot of oil beforehand, on each one, and spin, will mitigate the risk of seized nipples.
Lots of useful information in this thread: rusty-nipples-ok-corroded-but-wheres-the-drama-in-that /and this post
HTH

Thanks

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I can't see why type of hub that is.... it might be Ultegra and
Hello. I recently bought a set of new wheels and on the first ride when I got to my first big hill I found when climbing out of the saddle that the rim would rub on the brake.

View: https://youtu.be/dETK_CjHa_4

This is a video I took of the rim movement when I pull on it.

Is this amount of movent normal and I've simply set the rim brakes to close or is this abnormal?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I can't see why type of hub that is.... it might be Ultegra and if so or any other loose bearings - cones hub then check that the cones are properly adjusted.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I can't see why type of hub that is.... it might be Ultegra and if so or any other loose bearings - cones hub then check that the cones are properly adjusted.
Hubs | Hunt Race straight-pull super-light QR 6061-T6
"The hubs the spokes sit in are Hunt branded and they contain good quality EZO bearings front and rear, with uprated seals to reduce friction."
Front (wobbly one and subject of OP) has 20 axial spokes.

OP
OP
Darren Gregory

Darren Gregory

Email from Hunt today, wheels have been "fully rebuilt and tensioned" should get them back in a few days.

^_^

Top Bottom