Latest Addition (Claud Butler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share my latest purchase, I picked it up last week. Not sure of the model but the brake levers have a year of 1979 on them. Quite a large frame (24") but I like the colour, have put some new bar tape on. The chrome wheels aren't the best but are better than they were! Also need a few spokes on the back wheel. Shimano 600 gear levers, Huret front derailleur and Suntour VX at the back:-)
DSCN1803.JPG DSCN1804.JPG DSCN1807.JPG DSCN1808.JPG DSCN1809.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one. If you swap the chrome rims out for some alloy ones you'll get a bike that actually stops in the wet. :smile:
I think it may date from a bit later as the VX derailleur ran from '81.

Last edited:

southcoast

Über Member
Looks good. I remember using Weinmann centre pulls on steel rims back in the 70’s. They seemed to work ok at the time, although slightly noisy in the wet, but that could be rose tinted memories. Lol

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks all, I've not really ridden the bike very far yet, as the rear wheel definitely needs some attention. It has 531 forks and frame so not too heavy. The seat post is fine but the frame is a wee bit big for me, so need the saddle down. Could do with a Brooks one instead.
Anyone an idea of what model this might be?

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Will check the frame number this evening. I do have some modern wheels that might fit, although the bike they are currently on is an 8-speed so the block might be too wide?

CBGuy

Bet it is a 1979. No catalogue avaiable, but must have been a year around transition of positioning rear brake cable TT from lower stops (as this one) to upper housing guides and change of pump pegs to seat tube. Combo Prugnat 62s lugs (think from your pics) and lamp boss suggest possible Majestic to me.

dwscrimshaw's 6 digit Holdsworth/Claud Excel data has an unidentified frame #018432 that has same features. That number in his prediction dates to 1979.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B62q1UtsrkVVWUZYSTNKZkN4TmM

I was writing this as you were posting number U20410. U must be 0. Also dates to 1979.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nice one. If you swap the chrome rims out for some alloy ones you'll get a bike that actually stops in the wet. :smile:
I think it may date from a bit later as the VX derailleur ran from '81.
Probably the original Huret RD may have tanked, and was replaced by SunTour. I used to do that a lot when flipping bikes that were French, because the Huret derailleurs, while good, were also fragile and sometimes less than reliable. It was a common change-out at the time, IIRC, at least in the States. I have a G.LaPierre in line for just such a modification right now. Great looking bike, just have to make time and space for it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably the original Huret RD may have tanked, and was replaced by SunTour. I used to do that a lot when flipping bikes that were French, because the Huret derailleurs, while good, were also fragile and sometimes less than reliable. It was a common change-out at the time, IIRC, at least in the States. I have a G.LaPierre in line for just such a modification right now. Great looking bike, just have to make time and space for it.
It's true, I remember having a Huret Duopar Eco just collapse on me. Dreadful thing.

CBGuy

You could check out date code on your Suntour RD found on Velobase:
http://velobase.com/ViewBrand.aspx?BrandID=b0cbe80a-c06e-4864-a3ab-dac2d4abd9e6

Disraeli gears has VX as being introduced in 1977:
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/SunTour_Vx_derailleur_2200.html

No catalogue so don't know which RD was supplied with '79 Majestic or other models. 77-78 catalogue describes Huret & 81 catalogue states SunTour. Though... would factory mix a Huret FD with a rear SunTour as on yours - seems unlikely.

Top Bottom