Latest project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have not posted many of my projects but just spent a bit of time this morning starting my latest project, will have to wait on a few small parts on order to finish.

There have been a few members of the cycling club i cycle with have bought stainless steel bikes at vast sums of money and thought i will build one, any way bought a slightly used Genesis Volare frameset that did not sell on Ebay (seller lived close and he know some cyclists i cycle with)

The wheels and tyres where bought new on auction from Ebay, the groupset a used Ultegra again from ebay, most other parts will be from my spares and the very nice Ritchey pedals where sent to me from davidclane (many thanks again david) .

So far the bike is looking great and as long as a few small bits arrive i should have a stainless steel Volare for about a quarter (or Less) of the price many are paying for a new bike.

Attachments

• 100_8910[1].JPG
    100_8910[1].JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_8911[1].JPG
    100_8911[1].JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_8912[1].JPG
    100_8912[1].JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 100_8913[1].JPG
    100_8913[1].JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 21

AndyRM

XOXO
Very, very nice.

Chain looks a bit off :okay:

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
You are right Colin, its just set in place will have to adjust, really looking forward to finishing this build as Tbh prices of complete stainless bikes are well in the wrong side of £3,000 and i hope to finish this bike for less than £700 and it will have new wheels, tyres, chain , cassette, cables , bar tape Brooks Professional Saddle and hopefully look like new?

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Good job.

What's the thinking behind stainless steel bikes?

Theres lots of Marketing hype about them but tbh i think its all about Bling or looks. Theres a firm Donard that has started making them and they are not to far away from where i live so some of the club have bought them plus one of the cyclists bought a Ledgen stainless bike my own view is they would not seem any different than any good steel bike when cycling apart from the looks?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That looks great.
Never seen a stainless bike.
Love it.It should be great for all year round use.
Isn't Reynolds 953 Stainless.

Top Bottom