Latest Social Distancing *Rules (13 May 2020) - *"Guidelines"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
With the slight relaxation of social distancing rules from the middle of last week for England, I saw many pairs of riders out on the weekend.
At first I was a little suprised, even annoyed to be honest. Having later read the updated British Cycling information I realised that it was now perfectly OK for this to be occuring so long as they kept the social distancing.

Was anyone else confused by seeing pairs of riders ?

Opinion...
I am not convinced that the gaps between some of the riders 1 and 2 was actually 6ft with any of the riders I saw but hey - we're all sick to the back teeth of the lockdown!
And groups of 2 riders with another 2 riders! Well that is taking the Michael!

thanks

Reactions: C R

byegad

Legendary Member
As my wife 'got the letter' and I have Asthma, neither of us will be going out anytime soon. Our only trip out of the house since the 15th of March was to hospital, in our car, just over two weeks ago for an urgent appointment and biopsy. (Thankfully that turned out A OK.) Once the death rate is down to double figures in the running week total we may venture out. If either one of us catch this it is likely to be fatal, so until a vaccine is available and effective I can't see us getting back to normal.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I feel that riding with others (not from the same household) is stretching that eased guidance to its absolute limit and isn't particularly responsible... IMO it's more aimed at meeting up with say, a family member or a close friend that you haven't seen in months.
It's all well and good quoting this "magic" 2 metres that the virus apparently can't cross, but as a cyclist you still need to be fully aware of how far virus can be carried in someone's slipstream. No point quoting 2 metres which is based on being stood still in the open, and then riding at 20mph and expecting that to hold true. You can't avoid risk completely of course, but you can reduce it so I'm happy to ride solo or with family for quite a long time yet. I don't see any real need to actively test the boundaries of the issued guidance.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been seeing small groups of riders right the way through this, most of them looked like family groups.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Everyone seems to want to impose their own, generally stricter, version of the guidelines on others. And the arguments can get quite vituperative.

I'm not seeking to impose anything on anyone, you can do whatever you choose. If you feel I'm trying to impose something on others you can point me to where I have appeared to do that, and I'm more than prepared to correct or edit it.
The only opinion I offered (the only thing you've quoted is the "IMO") was what the idea behind the relaxed guidance might be. The guidelines themselves are fairly clear, I find.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm pretty sure the question about cycling with one companion was asked at a briefing (or reported upon on the BBC) and was deemed to be perfectly acceptable as long as 2m SD observed :okay:

Those of us who live alone are enjoying the opportunity to spend time with another human being in person, even if away from home and at a 2m+ distance :okay: Of course we aren't going to do so if symptomatic in any way :smile:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
We have a relaxation in the rules tomorrow, groups meeting up (social distancing) can be up to 10 and 2 people from the same household can also go and visit someone else's home, common sense is asked for.

So far I have only seen a few breaking the rules, most groups have been family units, lets see how it goes over here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I feel that riding with others (not from the same household) is stretching that eased guidance to its absolute limit and isn't particularly responsible... IMO it's more aimed at meeting up with say, a family member or a close friend that you haven't seen in months.
It's all well and good quoting this "magic" 2 metres that the virus apparently can't cross, but as a cyclist you still need to be fully aware of how far virus can be carried in someone's slipstream. No point quoting 2 metres which is based on being stood still in the open, and then riding at 20mph and expecting that to hold true. You can't avoid risk completely of course, but you can reduce it so I'm happy to ride solo or with family for quite a long time yet. I don't see any real need to actively test the boundaries of the issued guidance.

Sticking to solo myself - look I can smell runner's perfume even when I'm 3m away and passing them in the opposite direction. I'm finding runner's aren't getting 'giving room'. If you are running 2 abreast and I'm on the grass verge, I can't go much wider than through the trees (which I've done quite a bit recently) - single out as I'm passing within 1m and outputting a whole lot of hot breath.

I'm fairly thankful for the bin lid at the minute as I've quite often had to duck under overhanging branches, or ride through them trying to keep my distance - PS don't try riding through trees on a road bike :laugh:

BigMeatball

Those of us who live alone are enjoying the opportunity to spend time with another human being in person, even if away from home and at a 2m+ distance :okay: Of course we aren't going to do so if symptomatic in any way :smile:

After having to be in the same flat with my girlfriend all day everyday, all I want to do is cycle alone and enjoy some solitude :laugh:

Fortunately she doesn't give a crap about cycling so I'll always have some alone time

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Me too, well will be when my ribs have healed a bit more, it always surprises me why runners wear perfume before going for a run, or have that "just showered" smell about them.
Sticking to solo myself - look I can smell runner's perfume even when I'm 3m away and passing them in the opposite direction. I'm finding runner's aren't getting 'giving room'. If you are running 2 abreast and I'm on the grass verge, I can't go much wider than through the trees (which I've done quite a bit recently) - single out as I'm passing within 1m and outputting a whole lot of hot breath.

Top Bottom