Latest Social Distancing *Rules (13 May 2020) - *"Guidelines"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I feel that riding with others (not from the same household) is stretching that eased guidance to its absolute limit and isn't particularly responsible... IMO it's more aimed at meeting up with say, a family member or a close friend that you haven't seen in months.
It's all well and good quoting this "magic" 2 metres that the virus apparently can't cross, but as a cyclist you still need to be fully aware of how far virus can be carried in someone's slipstream. No point quoting 2 metres which is based on being stood still in the open, and then riding at 20mph and expecting that to hold true. You can't avoid risk completely of course, but you can reduce it so I'm happy to ride solo or with family for quite a long time yet. I don't see any real need to actively test the boundaries of the issued guidance.

The guidance is clear.

You can meet up with any one person as long as you distance.

Any belief that transmission is somehow more likely cycling than walking or sitting is, at best, speculative.

Any suggestion that it only applies to close friends or family is incorrect.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's better than being gassed out by BO. Happened to my wife when we were out for a walk - smelly runner from 2m away really stunk.
Ah, sorry about that. The Lynx effect isn't quite what I'd been led to believe.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's all well and good quoting this "magic" 2 metres that the virus apparently can't cross, but as a cyclist you still need to be fully aware of how far virus can be carried in someone's slipstream. No point quoting 2 metres which is based on being stood still in the open, and then riding at 20mph and expecting that to hold true.
Maybe it would be best to ride 2 abreast rather behind each other?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't see any reason why 2 3 or 4 folk who live together would have to cycle 2m apart.

In NI we can now meet outside and maintaining distance, but that doesn't really work in a cycling sense because distancing a group of 4 or 5 (maybe 6) just multiplies the length of the group and riding two abreast wouldn't work - basically leaving the proverbial door open for further driver hate

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Here in Wales the rules are still the same: 2 metres social distances for every day occasion and 10 metres apart for cyclists. I am pleased to say that these rules are still respected, in my area at least but some English tourist t**ts still think they can come here for relaxation, they CAN'T, Wales is still closed to tourism.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't see any reason why 2 3 or 4 folk who live together would have to cycle 2m apart.

In NI we can now meet outside and maintaining distance, but that doesn't really work in a cycling sense because distancing a group of 4 or 5 (maybe 6) just multiplies the length of the group and riding two abreast wouldn't work - basically leaving the proverbial door open for further driver hate
They don't - only people who don't live together

D

Deleted member 26715

I didn't think this related to same household bodies, I was referring to 2 people NOT of the same household out together, instead of riding astern where the 2nd person could logically be within vapour distance, if they are side by side the risk is less, unless of course in a cross wind.

Edit:- @vickster beat me to it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Here in Wales the rules are still the same: 2 metres social distances for every day occasion and 10 metres apart for cyclists. I am pleased to say that these rules are still respected, in my area at least but some English tourist t**ts still think they can come here for relaxation, they CAN'T, Wales is still closed to tourism.
Like the Welsh coronavirus health tourist t**ts that have been flooding Hereford and Bristol hospitals in England? Or the Welsh shopping t**ts that pop across the the English side of the border to shop?

Seems the Welsh don't like playing by their own rules when it's no longer convenient for them. Their attitude is nothing more than parochial bullpois.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've started riding with friends again, many people I know have. My view, and many folk I know are the same, is this has always been about personal responsibility and trust in those you meet. I would trust all of my close social circle to observe all the health guidance. Riding with them is safer than a trip to ALDI.

Friday was fantastic. Myself and a good friend rode to our favourite cafe which opened at 10.00 for takeaway - we arrived at 11 15.

Sunday, yesterday and today I rode with a friend who lives alone and has seen no one in two months.

Lots of pairs out today. As for sweat, snot etc. surely one simply doesn't spit, snot etc. It's not especially pleasant in the best of times.

I've started riding with friends again, many people I know have. My view, and many folk I know are the same, is this has always been about personal responsibility and trust in those you meet. I would trust all of my close social circle to observe all the health guidance. Riding with them is safer than a trip to ALDI.

Friday was fantastic. Myself and a good friend rode to our favourite cafe which opened at 10.00 for takeaway - we arrived at 11 15.

Sunday, yesterday and today I rode with a friend who lives alone and has seen no one in two months.

Lots of pairs out today. As for sweat, snot etc. surely one simply doesn't spit, snot etc. It's not especially pleasant in the best of times.
[/QUO
Well indeed, when out on the bike, I merely slightly perspire, whilst Mrs TB gently glows.

Top Bottom