Latex Tubes - Boom!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had tubeless tyres on my carbon rims and they just didn't seem to seat well and i was getting a lot of leaks, so decided I'd go back to tried and trusted tubes. Changed tyres to continental grand prix and standard butyl tubes, all good. Then I remembered running latex tubes on one of my bikes years ago, smoother ride, lighter by a few g, so I bought some Michelin air comp latex tubes and tried them in my carbon wheels. Not good, I made sure they were not pinched, twisted or trapped and inflated them with my track pump, 90 psi all seemed oK, above that - Boom! They just puncture, seems to be near the valve. This has happened on 4 tubes now and I was extremely careful when fitting the tyre back on the rim.

The tubes are700x 22/23, tyres 700 x 23 and with butyl tubes I can run at 100 psi no problem.

I dont recall having a problem at 100 psi or more before.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Last edited:

S-Express

Nothing wrong with latex tubes per se - latex is a lot more flexible that butyl, so if it's puncturing like that, then it's obviously catching on something.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may have a sharp edge at the valve hole. I always talc my tubes before fitting. I've used latex tubes in the best bike for some years. They are more fragile to handle, but once in the tyre that's fine. Could the valve hole be a little large if you've been using tubeless - i.e. the rubber bung needed to seal the valve in place ?

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
I did check the valve hole and was extremely careful fitting them, seemed strange that they got to 90 psi OK and I have just put the butyl tube back and that's fine so I can only assume that it's catching somewhere I just can't figure out where and at £8 a go it's cost me £32 so far!

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thinking about this a bit more I have stans no tubes yellow rim tape, maybe that's not so good for latex tubes. I will try something else like velox and see how that works. So another £20 outgoing!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use Air Comp Latex on the 'best bike' at 110 psi in Michelin GP4000s (love the sound on a smooth road - almost as good as tubs). No problem. But they are a PITA for losing pressure - you need to top them up before every ride.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I made sure they were not pinched, twisted or trapped and inflated them with my track pump, 90 psi all seemed oK, above that - Boom! They just puncture, seems to be near the valve. This has happened on 4 tubes now and I was extremely careful when fitting the tyre back on the rim.

The tubes are700x 22/23, tyres 700 x 23 and with butyl tubes I can run at 100 psi no problem.

I dont recall having a problem at 100 psi or more before.

Anyone else had similar issues?

I've had similar issues, with the same tubes, but only when using a CO2 inflator :blush: I wondered if it was just latex & CO2 that didn't go well together, wondering now if there's a bit of a dodgy batch?? Mine seem to be fine when inflated to 100psi with track pump, but I've had 3 or 4 go near the valve when out on the road & using CO2. Not too bad for me though as I ordered 2 a good while ago & was charged for 2, but received 2 boxes of 10 & still got a few of them left :okay: When Ive used my current stock though, I reckon I'll just go back to butyl, as the difference to the ride is minimal IMO

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not an expert on such matters, but as I understand it most of the compounds used in tubes are quite porous to CO2, so the inflators are only a get you home solution.

Top Bottom