Layering clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As we're moving to the colder months, what strategy do people employ to keep their upper body warm on the bike? Many thin layers or one thick top?

I tend to go base layer, thick jersey and gilet as required but was wondering if theres a better solution.

Slick

Guru
I usually keep to a base layer and jacket, the only things I add when it gets subzero is thicker gloves and a snood. I still wear the overshoes even if its dry to help keep the feet warm and the actual cycling takes care of the rest.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Onions have layers, ogres have layers, cyclists have layers.

If it's cold like this morning was, merino base layer, normal jersey over that and then a jacket over that. If it gets really cold a waterproof or even a coat goes over that!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Definitely go with the layering.. Can get very hot going up hill.
Then fkn freezing on way back down.

A thin winshirt that packs down tiny always comes along too.

And thermal buff, in case of freezy extremities

Windshirt is good enough to keep off the worst of mizzle, even if it's not quite wet enough for waterproofs.

Legwarmers are handy, and never leave home without gloves in the winter even on a nice day.

Thin plastic ones at least cut the wind, under fingerless mitts, and keep off worst of wet.

Waterproof socks (effective dex shell - not slightly carp sealskins) do double duty as windstoppers.

3/4 length mesh lined waterproof trews are 'cool' enough to cycle in whether its wet or dry..

Most of these warmth / water repellent strategems, are taken in respect of Devon cycling, in winter, where if its not raining right now, then there's every chance it will be soon. :bicycle:

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Basically things with zips in-between the base layer and jacket. That way when I warm up I can unzip and get some air in without having to stop. Gilets are a good addition when it gets really cold as 2 garments with long sleeves is more than enough to annoy me especially the way fleece fabric binds to things.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As we're moving to the colder months, what strategy do people employ to keep their upper body warm on the bike? Many thin layers or one thick top?

I tend to go base layer, thick jersey and gilet as required but was wondering if theres a better solution.

Yep that's me. Winter base layer, gilet and winter jacket. The jacket is the best investment I've made in a while; windproof, wicking and drizzle proof. Usually I sweat and the outer surface is wet but the inner dry. A gilet for windy days. Buff to seal gap between collar and neck.

Always unzip rather than remove layers.

Layers, is definitely the way to go IMO. The better way is the fireplace but that's debatable as its no fun :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's layers as a strategy and the softshell approach where a single garment can replace multiple items in a layering system. Both approaches are equally valid and old. Just go with what you have to hand and adapt as necessary.

Top Bottom