LBS and RRP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
...after discovering that my LBS supplies the brand I'm after, I inquired about buying the bike from them.

All they would do is sell at full RRP though. I told them I could get it significantly cheaper online (which is true) and they basically said bugger off and buy online then.

I wasn't expecting a full price match but I was hoping for 5-10% off in some attempt to compete with online sellers, and that would have been enough for me to buy locally.

This attitude (which I've seen so many times before from LBSs) doesn't win over many customers!

Off you go then, buy online.

Not sure what the problem is.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Another person with no idea of how retail works. Move along, nothing to see here....

Tony.
maybe you can explain then? In simple terms I would have thoguht selling at 5-10% discount is better than no sale at all, especially considering the mark-up on a bike is about 50%

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another person with no idea of how retail works. Move along, nothing to see here....

Tony.
I think I know how bike retail works. High Street / back street retail outlets are being blown away and with good reason. The stuff they sell is expensive, and more importantly, the vast majority of them do not actually provide this mythical "Hovis Advert" customer service that some people seem to imagine and be so fond of. It might exist if there is strong bike club nearby and a brand loyalty exists, but that's not much compensation if you are not one of them.
Get a test ride from a friend with the bike you fancy.
Buy it online
Get the spares online
Learn about stuff on YouTube, or post questions on CC, or ask other riders. Buy a book or two.

You really don't need the LBS, and they have never done me any favours. Sorry.

JMAG

Über Member
You're not a big fan of LBS then? :smile:

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, but I do like to touch, feel and browse. I recently bought my first new bike and narrowed it down to 2 options for the same/similar bike (Trek FX).

I went for the slightly dearer LBS because it was the only place that had a 22.5" size that I could try out. I don't have any cycling friends and even if I did, I'm not sure what the chances would be of someone having the model (Trek 7.2 FX Disc) and size I was looking for.

Another LBS I visited a couple of times looking at some GT bikes was very helpful. I didn't buy a bike from him, but gladly handed over £14 for a bottle of muck off and a can of GT85 just to say thanks for his time. Likewise at another LBS who was very helpful. There are lots of other bits I bought online, I'm not made of money after all.

LBS vs online is no doubt an eternal discussion point in cycling as it will be in many circles or industries. I'm torn in the middle, but am fortunate and thankful to have a bunch of places I can go to see, feel, touch and try. It would be sad to see them disappear. There's a thread somewhere about cycling jackets and someone has offered a £90 jacket for £50 because he bought online and the sizing came up small after cutting the tags off. This wouldn't happen at a LBS.

I made a small ommission. I got a £25 item thrown in with the bike. It is often easier to negotiate free or discounted extras than a cold cash discount from a LBS.

tonyg52

My LBS gave me a 30% discount on a giant TCX SLR1. In fact he gives discount on most items.
Only problem he carries limited brands so still use online for some goods.

bpsmith

Veteran
Returning an item with the tags cut off would be just as tricky as returning to LBS as from buying online.

On a different note, to cut a long story short, I visited my LBS recently as needed a bolt removing that had sheered off. They found a suitable bolt, but would not charge when I offered multiple times. I did as above and enquires about tyres as need to buy them soon.

Was glad they were out of stock, to save the embarrass, as they were £55 each and the same tyre is £30 everyday online. Cheaper when regular deals are on.

How can anyone justify charging almost double? I was showing willing, in gratitude, but that's a bonkers markup.

I think there should be a more middle ground here and I would buy everything from them, even with some markup.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I cannot help but think there is some resale price maintenance being enforced by the big bike companies on the LBS's. May be through the agency agreement they must have to sign.
When I was looking for a 2nd bike, it was remarkable the similarity in shop prices at LBS's.
Online retailers and some of the bigger stores may have more clout, through their buying power.
No excuse for poor customer service though.

JMAG

Über Member
Returning an item with the tags cut off would be just as tricky as returning to LBS as from buying online.

I'm not sure if you're being serious?

The fairly obvious point I was making is that if you go to buy a garment from a shop, you usually have the opportunity to try it on before buying it and cutting the tags off.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
If you buy online you have the chance and choice to try it on for a fit before you cut the tags off - returns are free to most of the big online retailers (Wiggle and CRC for example). Cutting the tags off before you have tried it on, regardless of LBS or online is the stupid bit here - not where he/she bought it from !

JMAG

Über Member
True, but you are still less likely to be cutting the tags off an ill fitting garment bought from an LBS because you will have left the LBS with a correctly fitting garment. No? :smile:

Top Bottom