LBS etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
While looking into zipp bars for my bike I decided to try a smaller fit bar first . My LBS got me some in and said if I liked them they would knock the price of them off the zipp bars . They where £30 and fitted for £10 .
I then sourced some zipp bars a lot cheaper and asked in my LBS if they would be willing to fit them even though they hadn't supplied them . They said no problem but I would have to leave the bike with them as all the internal cabling needed to be redone . Again I was quoted £10 , I questioned this but it was fine .
Anyhow I called up today and the bike was ready , I was told there had been a lot of swearing coming from the workshop so I asked what the tipple was and bought a create of beer for the guy that did the work .
They had to use a couple of new cables and I also had new bar tape fitted . My bill was £21 :eek:
I paid and then asked where the old bars where as I thought I could sell them on . There was an "eeeerrrrrr i'll get them for you . " I used my spidey sense and said no , leave them here and we will sort that out later . You may be able to sell them on .
Now I have got home after a ride on the new bars I'm thinking the old bars are their perk for doing the job so cheap for me .
I think ive answered my own question here :laugh:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Btw , my question was what do you think ?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I don't have a problem with taping my own bars . I have a problem with fitting carbon bars and setting up the hoods correctly and also on the zipp bars recabling the whole bike as all the cables go through the frame .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No I have a thread all of its own for that :thumbsup:
But trying to keep within the forum form I have to say .....
Look if you don't like it or want to give your opinion then why bother commenting , just don't read it . ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn't bother going back for the bars, you'll clear about a fiver selling on stock bars once youve paid postage...and they are an utter bitch to wrap, bloody curly things!

I'd keep the good karma with the LBS :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
No I have a thread all of its own for that :thumbsup:
But trying to keep within the forum form I have to say .....
Look if you don't like it or want to give your opinion then why bother commenting , just don't read it . ^_^

Or, you could not post it.

Or, you could have just said bars, not ZIPP bars.

Or, whatever.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I didn't say ZIPP bars I said zipp bars . Have you got zipp bars ? I don't think you have as you seem upset that I have got some ZIPP bars . They make me go really fast and on my ride tonight three girls stopped me to tell me how cool I looked with my ZIPP bars .

KneesUp

Guru
While looking into zipp bars for my bike I decided to try a smaller fit bar first . My LBS got me some in and said if I liked them they would knock the price of them off the zipp bars . They where £30 and fitted for £10 .
I then sourced some zipp bars a lot cheaper and asked in my LBS if they would be willing to fit them even though they hadn't supplied them . They said no problem but I would have to leave the bike with them as all the internal cabling needed to be redone . Again I was quoted £10 , I questioned this but it was fine .
Anyhow I called up today and the bike was ready , I was told there had been a lot of swearing coming from the workshop so I asked what the tipple was and bought a create of beer for the guy that did the work .
They had to use a couple of new cables and I also had new bar tape fitted . My bill was £21 :eek:
I paid and then asked where the old bars where as I thought I could sell them on . There was an "eeeerrrrrr i'll get them for you . " I used my spidey sense and said no , leave them here and we will sort that out later . You may be able to sell them on .
Now I have got home after a ride on the new bars I'm thinking the old bars are their perk for doing the job so cheap for me .
I think ive answered my own question here :laugh:

I really don't understand this.

1) You wanted to try a smaller bar (narrower, smaller drop?) so the shop ordered some in. They were price £x

2) The shop said if you liked those bars but wanted to buy some different ones anyway (Zipp ones at price £y where y >x) they would sell you the Zipp ones at £y-x
(no idea why they would sell them at their price minus the cost of some other un-related bars - e.g. if the ordered in bars were £25 and the Zipp ones were £60, they would order in the £25 one and then sell you the Zipp ones for £35 - why?)

3) You bought the Zipp bars from somewhere else leaving the LBS lumbered with the other bars they ordered in for you and you liked but didn't buy

4) The LBS quoted you £10 to fit the new bars but charged you £21

5) You actually paid £21 + a crate of beer (total c.£36?)

6) The LBS kept your old bars which also have a value.

And remarkably both you and the LBS seem happy with this outcome?

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Personally I wouldn't bother going back for the bars, you'll clear about a fiver selling on stock bars once youve paid postage...and they are an utter bitch to wrap, bloody curly things!

I'd keep the good karma with the LBS :thumbsup:
I think youre right . I think it was the smaller size that made me think to keep them and maybe put them on the defy to keep at the trial and then maybe sell on . But they hurt my shoulders and I was glad to get the swap done .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I really don't understand this.

1) You wanted to try a smaller bar (narrower, smaller drop?) so the shop ordered some in. They were price £x

2) The shop said if you liked those bars but wanted to buy some different ones anyway (Zipp ones at price £y where y >x) they would sell you the Zipp ones at £y-x
(no idea why they would sell them at their price minus the cost of some other un-related bars - e.g. if the ordered in bars were £25 and the Zipp ones were £60, they would order in the £25 one and then sell you the Zipp ones for £35 - why?)

3) You bought the Zipp bars from somewhere else leaving the LBS lumbered with the other bars they ordered in for you and you liked but didn't buy

4) The LBS quoted you £10 to fit the new bars but charged you £21

5) You actually paid £21 + a crate of beer (total c.£36?)

6) The LBS kept your old bars which also have a value.

And remarkably both you and the LBS seem happy with this outcome?
No I ordered the smaller £30 bars and had them fitted and paid £40 with fitting .
The zipp bars are about £280 retail but I found some for a lot less .
I went to my LBS with the bars and asked if they would be willing to fit them . They said nice find and yes we will fit them for £10
I knew it would be a bitch of a job as all the cables go through the bars and then through the frame so I bought beer . I did offer cake but was told the swearing means beer :laugh:
I was then only charged for the new cables and bar tape . I asked if that was for everything and told yes . So actually no fitting charge .
I think I will nip in tomorrow and say keep the bars .

Top Bottom