LBS...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
Hmmm on recent performances round here with my LBS's...pretty awful.

One is just a repair shop...another seems to have closed but does repairs somehow..One is a rip-off merchant who sold me forks which really aren't compatible so guess what...I won't be going there again and another two I can think of have closed.So not a good variety around here in East London.

Had to generally manage by using ebay and it's worked.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I when to town to buy a new 1/8"inch chain and some bike grease for my Shimano 8 speed hub geared bike. First though was to go to my Local Bike Shop, didn't have either item. So I when to the other side of road to Halfords. Guess what, had both! I did tried shop responsibly!
I’ll take a guess ... Hargroves?

Kajjal

Guru
With a local bike shop it is not unusual to have to order things in, even more common parts. They simply can't afford to hold all the stock.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I treat my LBS pretty much like an online retailer. I message the owners what I want, they tell me when it'll be in and I go and pick it up. If I need advice and I can't get in, we'll chat about it on facebook.

I'll never forget my daughter's age - she was born the same month my mates bought a bike shop...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I rule!

I wouldn’t worry about Hargroves going bust due to lack of business any time soon. They’re more a regional chain than an LBS in the strict sense. I’m not a massive fan.

Peter Hansford up in Oliver’s Battery is a bit better IMO, but I’m not going to get misty-eyed about any of the local LBSs. Abbott’s Anne Cyles in Andover has some insane bikes but seems to manage more of a welcoming LBS feel. I was in their cafe today while they were helping fix a guy’s racing wheelchair.

bpsmith

Veteran
I treat my LBS pretty much like an online retailer. I message the owners what I want, they tell me when it'll be in and I go and pick it up. If I need advice and I can't get in, we'll chat about it on facebook.

I'll never forget my daughter's age - she was born the same month my mates bought a bike shop...
I just don’t get the concept of that. For clarity, are you getting some sort of discount on the online price or is it just because it’s a mates shop?

I can’t follow why you would do it otherwise?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just don’t get the concept of that. For clarity, are you getting some sort of discount on the online price or is it just because it’s a mates shop?

I can’t follow why you would do it otherwise?
More pointing out that if you have a good relationship with your LBS then it can be almost as convenient as ordering from the big online stores. Plus you get access to their expertise and the occassional freebie - they had a big box of IS-PM adaptors for example so just chucked a few my way. And you get to help the local economy.

Of course it helps that they are my mates anyway, and I do get a small discount if the shop's doing well. On the other hand, if I'm feeling flush I insist on paying full price - easy come, easy go.

bpsmith

Veteran
More pointing out that if you have a good relationship with your LBS then it can be almost as convenient as ordering from the big online stores. Plus you get access to their expertise and the occassional freebie - they had a big box of IS-PM adaptors for example so just chucked a few my way. And you get to help the local economy.

Of course it helps that they are my mates anyway, and I do get a small discount if the shop's doing well. On the other hand, if I'm feeling flush I insist on paying full price - easy come, easy go.
I get where you’re coming from in a number of aspects, the main one being that you’re supporting your mates.

For the rest of us, looking around online and then getting someone else to order the parts for you, waiting longer as a result, then paying extra for the privilege is a couple of steps too far.

What could the LBS do differently? That’s a difficult one, as I totally get that it’s impossible to stock everything that everyone wants, whilst still maintaining a profitable business.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I am fond of my LBS, but I will be honest and say I rarely use them. The stock they hold is lower quality than I want/need as they are plumping for the local leisure market. So it is good business practice. Mainly their income is through the workshop and by selling lots of Spesh, Canondale, Dawes and Raleigh bikes. They also do difficult stuff for the club riders and mundane puncture repairs for leisure cyclists. I want to see them succeed.

Top Bottom