Le Claud Majestique!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
If you look at these pictures, you will see an "L" shaped bracket that is part if the headstock assembly. (The rusty bit!!) The front brake cable terminates at this bracket.
Does anybody know what this is called and where it is possible to get a replacement?

Thanks.
IMG_20150820_091401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150820_091207.jpg
    IMG_20150820_091207.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 28
It's called a headset cable guide. There's one here but it's not quite as nice.
$(KGrHqUOKi0E3G+DF3EfBNyV+EPkVQ~~_12.JPG

You could try cleaning yours up, but if it's anything like the one on my Majestic there won't be much chrome left on it.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
It's called a headset cable guide. There's one here but it's not quite as nice.
$(KGrHqUOKi0E3G+DF3EfBNyV+EPkVQ~~_12.JPG

You could try cleaning yours up, but if it's anything like the one on my Majestic there won't be much chrome left on it.
Thanks to that. They obvious didn't go overboard on the plating!! I shall give a clean and go from there.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks to that. They obvious didn't go overboard on the plating!! I shall give a clean and go from there.
Indeed not. The chrome bits on the majestique I did up were rusted to hell. I cleaned them with a wire brush and Brillo then applied clear shoe polish (don't ask, it was all I had to hand). As a result they looked ... well ... distinguished.

The chrome on the pedals was similarly shot.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
Indeed not. The chrome bits on the majestique I did up were rusted to hell. I cleaned them with a wire brush and Brillo then applied clear shoe polish (don't ask, it was all I had to hand). As a result they looked ... well ... distinguished.

The chrome on the pedals was similarly shot.
The pedals, I think, can be salvaged. The cable guides may be more of a challenge! Thanks.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you look at these pictures, you will see an "L" shaped bracket that is part if the headstock assembly. (The rusty bit!!) The front brake cable terminates at this bracket.
Does anybody know what this is called and where it is possible to get a replacement?

Thanks. View attachment 100988

Clean all the rust off, then give a few coats of "chrome" paint available from B&Q/Halfords.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
Nice, I'm with @biggs682 on the saddle but possibly a B17n (Narrow version of the B17) but only cos that's my favourite in their range.
Thank you. I have a problem with saddles, both literally and metaphorically!
It took me a looong time to find that a 154mm Specialized Avatar was comfortable on my Focus and I am tempted to go the same route with the CB.

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
FYI. I have spent a bit of time today taking bits off the bike. Everything came off quite easily, although the seat-post is a bit stubborn!! Started cleaning off the crud and it confirms, I think, that this will look NICE! Next stage us to fire up my polishing mops! I shall keep you posted!!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have thought about this route. I have tried this before, with motor-cycle restoration, and it does look a bit naff!!
However, if done in a satin black, it might work!

Eckshooooally satin black would look better.

I painted my rusty chrome cable clips on my Kingpin, turned out alright, not perfect but they'll do.

Top Bottom