Le Claud Majestique!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
The B17n is 151mm wide.
God, nothing's easy, is it!

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
So, I finally got round to spending some time on the Majestic. Stripped right down, it confirmed what I originally thought, that with the usual servicing items, cables, chain etc. and attention to the various bearings, there was, beneath the grease and grime, a nice bike that needed no restoration!! Much elbow grease and polishing and all components came up well. Original Suntour RD, FD, shifters and cassette. Weinmann wheels and brakes all fine although the brake hoods had perished. A set of Crane Creek patterns look ok. The saddle was a problem! @biggs682 was all for a Brooks, but I was a bit hesitant as I have a problem trying to find a comfortable saddle and was going for a Specialized Avatar, which I have on my other bikes. Out of the blue I found this Wrights, in maroon, and it just seemed to be right!
Took the beast for a spin earlier this week. Stopped a couple of times for a "tweak" but it really was a lovely ride! I think I'm going to have some fun with this!
Thanks to all those who offered help and advice, and, if I find the right knobs to press, there might even be some pics!!

OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
The Majestic !!

Attachments

• 2015-09-30 15.26.25.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.26.25.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 2015-09-30 15.25.51.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.25.51.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2015-09-30 15.25.16.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.25.16.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2015-09-30 15.25.08.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.25.08.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 2015-09-30 15.24.57.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.24.57.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2015-09-30 15.23.52.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.23.52.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 2015-09-30 15.23.35.jpg
    2015-09-30 15.23.35.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 49

raleighnut

Legendary Member
So, I finally got round to spending some time on the Majestic. Stripped right down, it confirmed what I originally thought, that with the usual servicing items, cables, chain etc. and attention to the various bearings, there was, beneath the grease and grime, a nice bike that needed no restoration!! Much elbow grease and polishing and all components came up well. Original Suntour RD, FD, shifters and cassette. Weinmann wheels and brakes all fine although the brake hoods had perished. A set of Crane Creek patterns look ok. The saddle was a problem! @biggs682 was all for a Brooks, but I was a bit hesitant as I have a problem trying to find a comfortable saddle and was going for a Specialized Avatar, which I have on my other bikes. Out of the blue I found this Wrights, in maroon, and it just seemed to be right!
Took the beast for a spin earlier this week. Stopped a couple of times for a "tweak" but it really was a lovely ride! I think I'm going to have some fun with this!
Thanks to all those who offered help and advice, and, if I find the right knobs to press, there might even be some pics!!
Brooks actually bought out Wrights in 1962, I prefer the solid leather saddles though as opposed to the sprung underside with horsehair seats. Brooks continued to make that type of seat but they were often found on the '20' style of bike, I'd rather have one of these.
wright2L.jpg

Side view of the same saddle

wright1L.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HertzvanRental

HertzvanRental

Veteran
Brooks actually bought out Wrights in 1962, I prefer the solid leather saddles though as opposed to the sprung underside with horsehair seats. Brooks continued to make that type of seat but they were often found on the '20' style of bike, I'd rather have one of these.
wright2L.jpg

Side view of the same saddle

wright1L.jpg
Is that maroon or just a trick of the light?
I think you're all going to nag me until I put a Brooks on it!! Wouldn't mind if I could be sure of comfort!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is that maroon or just a trick of the light?
I think you're all going to nag me until I put a Brooks on it!! Wouldn't mind if I could be sure of comfort!
I think it's a brown one but it ain't a Brooks, it is a Wrights. :becool:

Very nice indeed! BUT... yeah, that saddle :rolleyes: lol.
that brightwork looks fantastic, I'd be frightened to ride it if I polished mine that hard! This is not a euphemism btw

Top Bottom