Lea Valley to Stansted Airport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amdazako

It looks like the airport is really close to the river, but I don't have adequate maps to check. Does anyone know if one can follow the towpath all the way?

wyno70

I'm really not sure. 'Lea Valley' could refer to anywhere from Leytonstone to Waltham Abbey, whereabouts are you talking from?

Cockney Scot

As last post says where are you comming from. If it is London or South of Hoddesden then you car follow the Lea until just before Rye House then take the Stort navigation , tow path is a bit narrower , but I use it, follow the Stort via, Roydon, Harlow, Sawbridgeworth on to Bishops Stortford then the last couple of miles on public roads.
make sure that you take the Stort navigation otherwise you will end up at hertford.

JackE

Über Member
I live in Bishops Stortford and I wouldn't want to cycle a loaded touring bike between Harlow Mill and BS. It's very rough in places and most of it has never been "hard surfaced". Perfect for a mountain bike but...........

OP
OP
A

amdazako

wow!

I'm impressed. This is a real, active community!
Thanks a lot everybody. Indeed my departure point is London, Clerkenwell to be exact. And I'd have to check in at Stansted by 12.30pm. My bike's a hybrid, with front shocks, but obviously an uneven surface will slow me down and I will be heavily loaded. I guess I'll leave at 6.30am if I decide to go through with it.
Thanks again

Cockney Scot

alternatively cycle the Lea to Broxbourne, the station is beside the Lea then take the train from there. Only one an hour but a lot quieter than the Stanstead express.

JackE

Über Member
The Lee/Stort tow path is pretty good up to Roydon and, as already advised, you can get a train from there to Bps Stortford or Stansted Mountfitchet. No bikes are allowed on the Stansted Express.

Cockney Scot

Wasnt sure if bikes were or were not allowed on Stanstead express. bearing that in mind then the only train available is the hourly service from Stratford to Stanstead, Departs Stratford 30 mins past the hour and from Chehunt it stops at all stations. personally I would get it at broxbourne as even the 1st part of the Stort navigation is not the best tow path for cycling.

andym

Über Member
delt1c said:
Wasnt sure if bikes were or were not allowed on Stanstead express. bearing that in mind then the only train available is the hourly service from Stratford to Stanstead, Departs Stratford 30 mins past the hour and from Chehunt it stops at all stations. personally I would get it at broxbourne as even the 1st part of the Stort navigation is not the best tow path for cycling.

There are a number of services going out of Liverpool Street - either going direct to Stansted Montfichet or changing at Bishop's Stortford.

OP
OP
A

amdazako

Thanks. All this very useful.
Surely the motorway isn't the only road access to the airport?
If I do take the stansted express (I think it sometimes stops at Bishop's Stortford) I'll just take the bike apart: I have to do it at some point. Though I do like the idea of cycling straight up to the plane, like we can now do with the Eurostar...

Cockney Scot

There is only 2 sevices per hour from Liverpool St to Bisgop Stortford that take Cycles (Cambridge service) and 1 an hour to Stanstead Mountfitch you then only have the Stratford to Stanstead service to change onto. I travel this line daily so I am familair with the patern of the service..Go to the national Express East Anglia web aite. Last thing you want is to be stranded with your bike

andym

Über Member
delt1c said:
There is only 2 sevices per hour from Liverpool St to Bisgop Stortford that take Cycles (Cambridge service) and 1 an hour to Stanstead Mountfitch you then only have the Stratford to Stanstead service to change onto.

I thought you could cycle from Stansted Montfitchet. (Or at least I assumed you could cycle from Stansted Montfitchet).

Multimap shows a church road leading over the motorway before joining Bury Lodge Lane which then joins Belmer Road which skirts the airport.

Top Bottom