Learning to ride fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Patos

I currently use velcro strap ons
whistling.gif
made by BO gear (http://www.bogear.com.au/help.html)in Australia for a wide bmx style platform without trouble and have had powerstraps in the past as well, as for toe clips I like them but felt limited by the choice of shoes as I have a wide foot and also use spd but only on my mtb at the moment as the shoes look a little tatty.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've ridden a fixed road bike with trainers / flats without too much of a problem. Although it's not as easy to 'brake' via the pedals I never had any trouble keeping my feet on the pedals.

However...

The first time I rode my MTB after converting it to fixed wheel I put flat pedals on. My thinking was that flats would make it easier to just lift my feet off the pedals on the downhills and get off the bike in a hurry if I needed to. On the first dip in the track I came to the pedals just vanished from under me and then promptly hit me VERY hard on the back of the legs.
That was the last time I ever rode the MTB fixed wheel without clipless pedals.

I rode fixed for the first time yesterday. My new bike (Pompino) came and I rode it round the block. I'd put on flat pedals and had a couple of 'moments' where I tried to freewheel, without success. I think that if I had foot retention, my descending foot would be pulled down, which would remind me what was happening and left in a position where I could regain control, rather than being left hanging, waiting for the pedal to come back and scrape off some skin - which is what happened.

My conclusion from 5 minutes riding and reading this is that:
- if you know what you are doing, riding fixed without retention should be fine
- for a learner, retention probably helps to get the hang of it.

I hope to come back shortly with personal experience of the second point!

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm using clips and straps, it just takes time to get used to how you flick the pedal round then jam your foot in.

Was thinking about going clipless as the general consensus on here is that its better, and my sister and her boyfriend both said clipless was much nicer feeling in general. The only drawback that I can see is that currently I can wear whatever I like on my feet which is quite nice.

When funds allow I'm definitely going to give it (clipless) a go.

I am running clips and straps on my fixed and clipless on my geared bike. The geared bike is Sunday best, club and leisure rides. The fixed is commuting and general running about. I don't feel any difference between the two systems, apart from having to wear cycling shoes all the time with clipless. For commuting and general running about I find clips and straps are better, much easier and more convenient.

colinr

My conclusion from 5 minutes riding and reading this is that:
- if you know what you are doing, riding fixed without retention should be fine

It really isn't! Routinely hitting 120+ rpm you want your feet staying in place because if they come off, they're not getting back on :smile:

I know a lot of people that ride straps just fine. Me, I prefer SPDs, whatever floats your boat. But no retention is for freestyle, polo and people that hate themselves.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I've flipped my rear wheel on my boardman to fixed, but I'm really struggling with starting off!

I'm currently using the supplied pedals with toe clips and once I get going I'm fine, however I have to hold on to a lampost / railings etc. to get my 2nd foot in the toe clips.

When using toe clips on a geared bike I've found them fine, but riding fixed means I can't keep the pedal still for long enough to get my foot in.

Will this get easier with practice, or would it be worth swapping the pedals for the spd's from my other bike?

Good,it's not just me and my Boardman in fixed mode !!! For some reason i cannot get my other foot in the clips either unless i nearly stop in trackstand mode and flick ! It's a right bugger in traffic i an tell you,but on a run in the country no problem.

tyred

Legendary Member
Good,it's not just me and my Boardman in fixed mode !!!  For some reason i cannot get my other foot in the clips either unless i nearly stop in trackstand mode and flick !  It's a right bugger in traffic i an tell you,but on a run in the country no problem.

Try finding a set of leather straps. The modern type are too flexible, collapse in on themeselves and snag your shoes. Leather is much better. Brooks do them but there are cheaper options if you look around on ebay.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Try finding a set of leather straps. The modern type are too flexible, collapse in on themeselves and snag your shoes. Leather is much better. Brooks do them but there are cheaper options if you look around on ebay.

Cheers,that was my next plan if i still keep having trouble with the clips that came with the bike.I not one for SPD's because i normally like to wear normal footwear.Other than that issue the bike is bloody brilliant !

Top Bottom