Learning to ride fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy84

Veteran
I've flipped my rear wheel on my boardman to fixed, but I'm really struggling with starting off!

I'm currently using the supplied pedals with toe clips and once I get going I'm fine, however I have to hold on to a lampost / railings etc. to get my 2nd foot in the toe clips.

When using toe clips on a geared bike I've found them fine, but riding fixed means I can't keep the pedal still for long enough to get my foot in.

Will this get easier with practice, or would it be worth swapping the pedals for the spd's from my other bike?

OP
OP
Andy84

Andy84

Veteran
Only because I couldn't really afford them at the same time as the bike, was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase.

It would make sense to to buy another set of pedals as I do still use the geared bike as well.

Guess that I would still have the same problem with starting off though?

wackelpuding

I found that the clips and staps provided with my boardman were made of a very soft/thin material, so made them very hard to use riding fixed, as the centre of the strap always drooped quite alot in the centre. So I ended up using another set of clips + straps from another bike, which resolved the problem until I upgraded to SPDs.

colinr

I rode straps for a few months and never fully came to terms with them. Double sided SPDs are far easier IMO.

Absolutely to the M520s. I prefer clips & straps, but, since I use my fixed mainly for commuting in that there London village, I have a lot of starting & stopping, which gets tedious.

Actually, I use XTR SPDs now, but have ridden M520s and they are very good too.

tyred

Legendary Member
It comes with practice but it would be worthwhile changing to leather straps as they are stiff and stay in place properly and are much easier to use.

PpPete

Legendary Member
another + for M520s
Have them on geared, fixed, and tandem

RedBike

I would suggest you start off by using the clipless pedals with the bike setup as a single speed.

In order to 'clip in' you need to align the cleat on the bottom of your shoe with the pedal. This isn't as difficult as it sounds. However, for your first few rides you'll probably have to shuffle your foot a bit so you can get everything lined up correctly, and this is a lot easier if the pedal is moving.

You will soon get the hang of clipless pedals. I couldn't imagine riding fixed wheel without them.

colinr

Aldi have SPD shoes for £20 this Thursday. M520s are cheap as chips (here, have a link). So if you fancy a bash at clipless you can do so for under £40. Bargain.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on clips and straps on my fixed, its what I prefer, I keep my clipless, time freerides, for the Sunday best bike. Fixed gets used for commuting and general running about and I find that easier on on clips and straps, It also means I don't have to faff about with cycle shoes and needing to change my shoes when I get to work. I use steel toecapped boots to and from work and usually trainers for general running about.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Toe-clips and leather straps here on my fixed, but then I've been using it that way since before clipless systems were invented!
Also I use it as a general utility bike too so I don't need special shoes.
Leather straps are the key here, plastic or canvas/webbing are not stiff enough.

Enjoy fixed... it's hugely satisfying and addictive.

D

Deleted member 1258

Toe-clips and leather straps here on my fixed, but then I've been using it that way since before clipless systems were invented!
Also I use it as a general utility bike too so I don't need special shoes.
Leather straps are the key here, plastic or canvas/webbing are not stiff enough.

Enjoy fixed... it's hugely satisfying and addictive.

And me, been on Toe-Clips and straps for about 25 years, its clipless that I struggle with. I tried SPD's about three years ago and couldn't get on with them, didn't like them and went back to Toe-Clips after using them for a summer. I've just got a new geared bike and have Time Freerides on it, I'm finding them better than the SPD's but I'm still not happy and struggling with the clippy in/out thing at the moment.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
And me, been on Toe-Clips and straps for about 25 years, its clipless that I struggle with. I tried SPD's about three years ago and couldn't get on with them, didn't like them and went back to Toe-Clips after using them for a summer. I've just got a new geared bike and have Time Freerides on it, I'm finding them better than the SPD's but I'm still not happy and struggling with the clippy in/out thing at the moment.
I'm not against clipless though, have looks on the road-bike, single-sided SPDs on the hackbike and never got to change the fixie. If I did I would go for Looks probably, but for now toe-clips and straps suit my needs for occasional use.

Top Bottom