Leather Saddle Top Rejuvenation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
This poor saddle might've struggled tbf

That's just how I like leather saddles, worn in. I have a similar condition, Wright saddle.

Any idea, what's best for polishing the top?
s-l1600.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Brooks proofhide or such like

i have a tin of this stuff and that works

100_4144.jpg

@GuyBoden I like my saddles well worn too and that one needs a lot of love :smile:
I like this, I think it's basically pretty the same as proofide (not dissing proofide btw, I just like to experiment):
DSC06051_-_Copy_1024x1024.JPG

I reckon something with beeswax would be good. Just try to avoid stuff with petrochemicals in and not too wet - the idea is to replace fats that have been removed or leached out. Use sparingly, I know it's tempting to slather a dry saddle til it's sopping but please - DON'T!!! Too much oil will make the fibres sag and go floppy - don't forget, bike saddles need to be hard, even when they're well fed
Sorry for the info overload but I've been doing a bit of research for a blog article I was writing. I can even give you a recipe to make your own :smile:

Linky no worky.
bah, in that case it's from the ebay and auction watch thread

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Last edited:
Insights into your secret recipe would be greatly appreciated. :okay:
Well, obviously it wouldn't be secret any more then, would it? :smile:
A basic recipe that has been suggested to me would be a mix of around 50% Tallow, 25% beeswax and 25% lard. There are other ingredients that can be substituted: lanolin apparently works well, but it can cause an allergic reaction in some. Apparently cod liver oil is used to give the leather back it's "leathery" smell, so you can wipe a little onto the saddle after treating it - cod oil is an ingredient of proofide.

I had a look at my favourite and original Brooks saddle off of my Holdsworth from 1971 and noticed some nasty splits. In the past it had been used in all types of weather and had never had any treatment applied to it until this year when I worked some dubbin into it.
When I bought my bike new I cannot remember receiving any instructions on how to look after it so it just got used. I suppose it is amazing that it has lasted so well, it could also be that I haven't used it too often.
The last time I rode it which was last year I found it to be really soft and comfortable. It was only this year that I noticed the splits and have bought another saddle to use while I figure out what to do to it.
IMGP3058.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP3057.JPG
    IMGP3057.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 48
I'm pretty sure that not using it is the worst thing to do to a saddle :sad:
Have you considered putting larger rivets on it? One of those big copper jobs might just cover most of that crack, it could stabilise it maybe?

My mind went through all sorts of things from Egyptian mummies to bog burials in thinking how they have managed to survive thousands of years. It would seem that storage has played a roll in It's condition as it has been suspended from the ceiling of my old garage for nearly thirty years. The fact that it hadn't been treated would also have had an effect.
On close inspection it looks as though the cracks have not gone through completely yet. The idea of using larger rivets did come to mind and may be considered later. My mind is full of thoughts at the moment.

Well apart from the cracks it looks pretty good. I picked a 17n up from eBay a few weeks ago that's got a bit of a crack in the same place but it was just on the surface so I'm going to ignore it for the time being

Top Bottom