Leaving bike in the rain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
How many of you have to leave your bike in the elements while it's at work. I do and I don't like it. We don't have a bike shed so its just chained to a fence all day, with others.

Any recommendations in doing this and I don't fancy carrying a cover. Plus it could be under the cover wet through if I arrive in rain. What preventative methods in anti-corrosion could I do?

Kies

Keep the chain cleaned and oiled. Give the bike a good wash and dry on the weekends and oil all the pivot points etc. The bike will dry naturally when the rain stops. Not ideal but it should be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to use a cover when I had no bike parking. The wind drys the bike under the cover.

Nothing additional other than washing and lube as you should be doing. Wouldn't be happy leaving out every day in rain though.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
one hint, if you leave a brooks saddle outdoors for 6 months it will get mildew on it reducing its life - I had to replace mine less than 10 years later.

Ciar

Veteran
Mines left outside on the bike rack, but there is tree cover it doesnt really help with the rain that much, but both my bikes get a good cleaning at the weekend, usually after i have done my MTB sunday session and need to find the bike again under half of Epping forest!

OP
OP
oiljam

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Well I thought I'd bought a reasonably priced commute bike with this problem in mind but it still hate leaving it in the rain. Its a reasonably priced great bike, I've really taken to it.
It's getting expensive this bike commuting business. Thought I'd save myself some money leaving the car on the drive but so far I've had to buy loadsa stuff. Maybe next year I'll start to reep the rewards.
Maybe if there's rain forcast I'll go by car but that seems cowardly. It's not the riding in the rain that bothers me, just an endless deluge on my bike

Last edited:

Kookas

Über Member
My college still hasn't installed the shelters they were on about in spring, so it's still just a few rows of old scrap metal on the floor.

Mr Foldy

I'm glad that somebody asked this question. Its been bothering me for ages. I don't mind the wet as we travel but I hate the thought of my folding bike sitting in the wet on bad days. I do dry the bike off at home and I look after the chain quite carefully. I'm going to think about locking a cover onto our bike racks and maybe not worry quite so much

Top Bottom