Leaving Sky broadband - who to replace them with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

We are with Virgin for phone, broadband and TV and have been for a long time, starting out on NTL.

Barely a week goes by that we don't lose the TV signal for several hours.

Broadband usually works, but most downloads are running at little more than we used to get on dial-up.

The phone is OK.

It is a waste of time ringing them as the Indian call centre staff can speak English but don't actually understand English, that is if you can waste ten to fifteen minutes before speaking to someone listening to endless pre recorded nonsense suggesting this and that which never cures anything.

We are paying for a service we are not getting while bearded boy wonder is living the high life on the backs of so many unhappy ripped off victims, sorry, customers.

We are now looking at alternatives.

L.E.D.

Amazingly after reading some of these posts but i'm going to vote for Talk Talk.

Been with Tiscali for several years and then it became TT and haven't had a single problem with them until last week when our phone number mysteriously changed ! !

Phoned up the much ridiculed indian call centre explained the problem and they said they would look into it, within an hour they were back on the phone telling us they had identified the problem and had notified BT Engineers. This was Friday.

Saturday we had no phone at all so it was obvious that something was happening.

Sunday a BT engineer came to the house and needed to attach something to the house line to identify exactly where we were at the exchange. and hour or so later the phone was back to normal and within 3 hours i had TalkTalk back on the phone asking if we were happy with the service.

To which i answered with a resounding yes.

Until they screw me over i'm going to back them all the way.

Wobblers

Euthermic
An O2 user here - I'm tempting fate here, but we've had no problems so far in the year we've been with them. Be is now owned by O2, so most O2 broadband users are using Be network infrastructure anyway. Plus Net is owned by BT: BT themselves are rather expensive and, from the experience of my parents not the most reliable.

Virgin are either very good or dire. In towns and outside the cities there are fewer subscribers which means the service is fast. My experience of Virgin in Birmingham was appalling. We had the (allegedly) 20 MBit/s package, but most evenings things were slower than it had been on dialup. Simply put, there were too many subscribers for the network to cope with - and Virgin don't want to pay to improve matters. From what I hear, this seems pretty typical for most large cities.

martint235

Dog on a bike
An O2 user here - I'm tempting fate here, but we've had no problems so far in the year we've been with them. Be is now owned by O2, so most O2 broadband users are using Be network infrastructure anyway. Plus Net is owned by BT: BT themselves are rather expensive and, from the experience of my parents not the most reliable.

I've spent years trying to get away from the big corps. I was with FreeNetName for years (bought by Madasafish and subsequently BT) and have just swtched to Be to get away from BT and now you tell me that O2 own them,.......:wacko:

Are there any small broadband providers left? (Although I am now contracted to Be)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Don't care who actually owns them this week, BE are the best broadband supplier we've ever had.

Fast, reliable, easy to set up, reasonably cheap and the customer support (what little of it I've had to use) has been outstanding.

Only possible drawback is you don't get any "extras" like an email address etc included in the basic package, but then thats what gmail is for :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have considered leaving sky after their c**k up forgetting to move my broadband account over when i moved house, even though i asked them too.

Had to get a BT engineer out yesterday as i have had a slow connection of......

400kbps

Now up to 1.5 mbits after he changed our line.The eningeer said our DB was 70 ,something to do with packet loss i think he meant.

Think yourself lucky you can even dream of a 20 MBit connection, we do not get cable around here either :angry:

Bill Gates

Joining sky broadband has been brilliant. Nothing wrong with the pricing of the TV package, phone and Broadband either. Can't see why you're leaving. The grass isn't always greener.

Dilbert

We are with O2 and so far (14 Months) have been excellent both for speed and reliability.  

We were with Virgin before and they were shocking - when I phoned up they blamed my equipment even though the speed and reliability varied wildly (but fairly consistently with the time of day - at times it was like the old 56K dial up.  My Dad is with them at the moment and they seem to be the same, he is just looking for a new provider.

If you have an O2 Mobile (even PAYG) they do some excellent deals, and gave me three months free when I signed up for another year (which I was going to anyway)

Virgin weren't too keen this morning when I said I wanted to get rid of Sky Sports and the Film channels...I bet it would have been different if I wanted to sign up for something...Instead it cut me off.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
We have Virgin ... It was a nightmare to get the broadband working, it took them almost 3 weeks with at least 6 different engineers coming out. Each one poked around and said there was nothing wrong with the installation, phoned back to their office and said it must be something in the account - but each time nothing happened. Evenutally the 6th one turned up; I was out but Mrs Cisamcgu was in - she vitually refused to let the poor chap go until he had fixed it - so after he had been fed numerous cups of tea and kitkats while he talked on the phone to his office, suddenly the broad band turned on. It seems that our account had not been registered for broadband and all it took was a click of the mouse in Virgin Cental, and bingo - everything worked.

Since then we have had pretty much flawless service from them (and did get a rebate for the missing broadband)

Andrew

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When we had a problem with our line Talk Talk got it sorted fairly quickly - though it was a BT engineer who came to the house (which was fair enough when it was BT fiddling around in the junction box that caused the original problem anyway). And then Talk Talk phoned up to check it was fixed.

Top Bottom