LED Rechargeable Bike Lights. Battery Hibernation Over Summer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've just unclipped my LED rechargeable headlights as I don't need them at the moment and won't need them for another month or two.

What is the best way to protect the batteries?

Do I run them flat before popping them in the cupboard or do I charge them to full?

They have been very reliable since last August when I first started commuting in the dark and I'd like them to remain so.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If Lithium Ion batteries, I understand the best way is to charge to around 50% and then leave them somewhere, not too hot and not too cold. I would also take them out of the lights, if possible.
Batteries which are allowed to run flat, may, depending upon the protection circuitry, go below their recharge minimum.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If Lithium Ion batteries, I understand the best way is to charge to around 50% and then leave them somewhere, not too hot and not too cold. I would also take them out of the lights, if possible.
Batteries which are allowed to run flat, may, depending upon the protection circuitry, go below their recharge minimum.
They are sealed units and they've done a lot better than I thought they would for Chinese made bike lights bought on Amazon for £20 a set.

I've just ordered another set now that low demand for lights has pushed the price down even further.

It is difficult to know how much they are charged sometimes

So - fully charge them - then leave them switched on for about half the time they normally last then switch them off before storing.
If you are going to be leaving them for a while - repeat after a few months

Reminds me - I need to do that!

main thing is to never leave them fully discharged - they drop slightly more over time and cause irreversible chemical changes that damage the battery

I'd exercise them every 2 to 3 months.

And in any case minimise the use of USB rechargeable lights.

Use lights which use AA/AAA rechargeable batteries instead.

Hey if the worst happens and the batteries go kaput you still have your lights.

And AA/AAA rechargeables are easily available.

And since of course they are something of a standard can be used/exercised in other devices.

(including, re another thread, vibrators - used in all seasons I think)

DRM

Guru
I’d just charge them up every couple of months and not worry about it, leaving them at 50% is ideal, but you’ve no idea how much charge is in them, so at least they won’t go so flat you can’t charge them at all.

I do tend to go over board on lights
I have 3 on the front and 3 on the back!!
All rechargeable - so there is no chance I will want one on and it fail - I can always use another
I only use all 3 on really bad nights - and as I never ride on bad nights then this means only if I get thiongs wrong - like getting turned around one day last winter and ending up several miles off the route I though I was on!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I do tend to go over board on lights
I have 3 on the front and 3 on the back!!
All rechargeable - so there is no chance I will want one on and it fail - I can always use another
I only use all 3 on really bad nights - and as I never ride on bad nights then this means only if I get thiongs wrong - like getting turned around one day last winter and ending up several miles off the route I though I was on!
I've got 3 front and back as well. Mainly as a failsafe mechanism in case one or two fail.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've got 3 front and back as well. Mainly as a failsafe mechanism in case one or two fail.

What if all three fail?

I'd exercise them every 2 to 3 months.

And in any case minimise the use of USB rechargeable lights.

Use lights which use AA/AAA rechargeable batteries instead.

Hey if the worst happens and the batteries go kaput you still have your lights.

And AA/AAA rechargeables are easily available.

And since of course they are something of a standard can be used/exercised in other devices.

(including, re another thread, vibrators - used in all seasons I think)
+1 for the AA/AAA battery lights. However these are becoming very dificult to buy.

Ike

+1 for the AA/AAA battery lights. However these are becoming very dificult to buy.

Ike
very true, even from the mighty cat-eye which I like because of mount standardisation.
Good idea I think to buy up some spares.
The batteries of course are as available as ever.
Madness I tell you.
I blame marketing plus the "performance" cult - AA/AAAs are just fine and dandy for "be seen" lights. Separate lights can be used for lighting dark lanes.

Top Bottom