LED's on recumbents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaddyPaddey

I seem to remember seeing adverts for LED's you could fit to wheel spokes. As I am paranoid about vehicles approaching from behind it occurred that something along those lines would be good to attach to the 'flagpole' of the 'bent trike.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what would be suitable?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Our American friends call the recumbent flag mast a "whip"

There's quite a lot on the web about led whip and recumbents. Be sure to include the word recumbent in your search.

stuee147

you can get small lengths of led rope light around 12 to 18 inch long that run off watch battery i used to have a couple in my old landrover as interior lighting the could flash or be on constant im sure they only cost a couple of pounds on ebay and were waterproof they would work fixed to the mast/pole
the other option i have seen is glow in the dark flag poles for bikes but then as with anything like that you would have the issue of needing to charge it every now and then with a torch.
there are loads of options out there for led lights i use motorcycle lights on my recumbent they are nice and bright so everyone can see me

Seriously the issue is weight

The flexibility of a flag pole is not well suited to a heavy lighting system, although I have seen some weird solutions

I have used a Cateye SL 1000 for a few years, easy to fit and light enough not to bend the 8mm rod

2322.jpg

Having said that my main lighting is carrier mounted and is the same height, visibility and as safe as any other bike or trike

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How about a lightsaber then?

lightsaber_extend-small.gif

Handy for those close passes.

GC

Davidc

Guru
Don't know what it was, not concerned as I don't ride recumbents, but saw an excellent one recently with white and red bright leds, clearly visible on a sunny day. There was a battery box at the bottom of the pole. I'd look first on US web sites.

Top Bottom