Lee Valley velopark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive just been looking on the website and it seems you can pay and ride the road circuit at certain times . Has anyone done this ? I was thinking of going over there today to have a look .

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I'm quite a way out here in reading but I have seen the website, let us know what you find out, cost and opening times etc.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm quite a way out here in reading but I have seen the website, let us know what you find out, cost and opening times etc.
I was looking at another circuit near you and wondering if it was open to the public . Hang on and ill find the details .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I decided to go and have a look in the end .

http://www.strava.com/activities/236771117/overview

I'm not sure you wondered onto the outdoor track itself as it is gated off and the staff have to open the gate for you . Having said that , if someone was coming out you may have been able to sneak in .
Anyhow . The velopark isn't that easy to find and isn't sign posted . Its at the end of a road that looks disused with a bus garage half way down it but when you get the the park itself is very tidy . Parking is free ( well I didn't pay :laugh: ) and there are no height restrictions for the car park so bikes on the roof are ok .

002_zps44041eaa.jpg

Once inside you pay at reception and can use the changing rooms to get your self ready and have a shower after . I changed in the van as I wasn't sure about the facilities but asked about them after and went to have a look . I asked what you do with the bike while getting changed but they didn't seem to know :wacko: Anyhow the whole area is gated off with electric doors so only riders are in that area . There where bike lockers but I think that's for the track bikes .
There are also lockers in the changing area to keep your clothes while you ride .

Back at reception you can get hot and cold drinks from vending machines or go up to the velodrome viewing area where there is a coffee bar .

003_zpsd4be42ed.jpg

The out door circuit is really nice with a few inclines and drops to spice it up . Nothing major but it adds to the fun .
Its also flood lit which was handy as it was getting dark by the time I started riding .

I had the track to myself so I stopped to take a few pictures for you guys :girl:

004_zps0ab75868.jpg

005_zps2c364365.jpg

All in all it was a good afternoon out and I wished I had gone earlier and made a day of it . Maybe a few laps and then go and watch the track cycling with a coffee and then a few more laps . Or maybe have a go on the MTB track :ohmy:

Tankengine

All in all it was a good afternoon out and I wished I had gone earlier and made a day of it . Maybe a few laps and then go and watch the track cycling with a coffee and then a few more laps . Or maybe have a go on the MTB track :ohmy:

Looks cool! Saw a few guys zipping around on it last time I was over there. I've used the mtb track it's quite fun and worth a go (speaking as a total newbie to mtb that is) and when I was over there no one else on it so like you had it to myself.

The bmx track looks tempting too...... :bicycle:

screenman

Legendary Member
We have had much the same in Lincoln, certainly for the last 25 years or so. Trouble is dog walkers, yobs and people who delight in breaking bottles on it also use it.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Looks cool! Saw a few guys zipping around on it last time I was over there. I've used the mtb track it's quite fun and worth a go (speaking as a total newbie to mtb that is) and when I was over there no one else on it so like you had it to myself.

The bmx track looks tempting too...... :bicycle:
Sorry , I did mean the BMX track :shy:

Hillingdon has dog walkers and the like but this one is fenced off and as I was going round there was security doing the rounds on the perimeter fence . Its also very out of the way although it does look like they are starting to build houses opposite .

Ian193

Über Member
I've been to the cyclopark near gravesend in Kent that looks good I've not ridden on the circuit there yet but will be later in the year as the club we belong to use it for their road races

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yes it's a nice track to ride, a group of us go there every now and then, usually in the evenings, as said before it's flood lit so you can stay late, well worth a trip down there.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom