Leeds curry recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
We're going to be in Leeds not Bradford though...and don't need to eat £2 curry these days

Venod

Eh up
Is that the one that was a clock shop?

That will be AM Kitchen Lower Briggate, never been in but the pub across the road usually has decent real ale.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/a-m-kitchen-and-bar-leeds

MarkF

Guru
It's like going to Barcelona for flamenco! Get the train to Bradford, a very short & regular service, and experience the real thing. I am out in Leeds every weekend but wouldn't have a curry there with so much choice next door.:smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's like going to Barcelona for flamenco! Get the train to Bradford, a very short & regular service, and experience the real thing. :smile:
Nah too much hassle. I've been to Bradford before :smile: Friend I'm going with hasn't been to Leeds before so we will spend the evening there

Tommy2

Über Member
Not really been out to eat in Harrogate even though we've lived 10mins walk from the middle of town for the past 5 years but there are some nice looking places I'd like to try.
Cau (next to the new Everyman cinema) 2 mins from the bus/train station, and I think there is something else behind there too but can't think of it.

Sukothai was nice when we went.
There's also place like Jamie's Italian, Revolution De cuba, Bodega Brazilian steakhouse.
Or bar type places like pitcher and piano, the pit.
Someone said that http://www.orchidrestaurant.co.uk/ is really nice Thai.
All really within 10-15 min walk

Tommy2

Über Member
Or Lucia is just round the corner from the conference centre, haven't been there yet but would like to.

Fat badger can be a bit pretentious.
Major Tom's Social is a bit of an oddball eclectic bar, but quirky but a relaxed feel for a few drinks.
Monty's is a bit scruffy looking but sometimes have live bands.
The pit has ping pong tables up stairs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Tommy

I try to avoid chains, so that's Cau, Jamie's etc off the menu. Friend doesn't eat beef (and is quite averse to the smell) so no steakhouses

I'll look at the Thai options

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Or Lucia is just round the corner from the conference centre, haven't been there yet but would like to.

Fat badger can be a bit pretentious.
Major Tom's Social is a bit of an oddball eclectic bar, but quirky but a relaxed feel for a few drinks.
Monty's is a bit scruffy looking but sometimes have live bands.
The pit has ping pong tables up stairs.

Lucia - I ate there a couple of years ago, not bad

In Harrogate you could go for another curry at Cardamom Black. It used to be an old theatre, now it's all spangly, black marble and chandeliers. Way OTT, and the staff are very nice and attentive.

http://cardamomblack.co.uk/

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You have probably also sampled Theo's Kebabs. Classic food and abuse opposite the engineering building. Wonder if it is still there? (Theo's, not the engineering building!)

No. Last time I was in Leeds a few years ago I made a pilgrimage to Theo's and was most disappointed to find it no longer there. Their kebabs were genuinely excellent, as were their felafels.

I can't remember the names of most of the curry places I used to frequent in Leeds when I was a student, though Nafee's and Hansa's do ring a few bells. There was a good one down by the YTV studios where they filmed Countdown, with an excellent pub on the opposite corner. Used to see Carol Vorderman in there all the time. None of them are there any more - not the curry place, not the pub, not YTV, not Vorderman.

La Paprika is gone too - the excellent greasy spoon in Hyde Park that was always number one choice for a hangover-curing fry-up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just remembered there was a curry place on the corner of the street where I lived in Leeds. Might have been in there once or twice. Just looked it up on Google Street View and it appears to be a pizzeria now. Boo!

Akbars on the Headrow are really nice and the Aagrah next to the Playhouse is nice as well.
Hansas on North Street is very good as well but (?) its all vegetarian.
Fair play, @User46386. But I'll turn that order round the other way :tongue:.

#1 http://hansasrestaurant.com/ - superb. Puts meat-eaters in their place :laugh:.
#2 Aagrah next to the Playhouse - brilliant on fish dishes. Big plus! :smile:
#? Akbars on the Headrow? Ordinary "Indian resto", but done well. :tongue:

You're a bit spoilt for choice, when it comes to curries in Leeds, @vickster. On your "broad-brush" request? I'd go for Tharavadu - OK, I want to try it, but I haven't (yet) managed to persuade family :sad:. They're not into dosas :sad:.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair play, @User46386. But I'll turn that order round the other way :tongue:.

#1 http://hansasrestaurant.com/ - superb. Puts meat-eaters in their place :laugh:.
#2 Aagrah next to the Playhouse - brilliant on fish dishes. Big plus! :smile:
#? Akbars on the Headrow? Ordinary "Indian resto", but done well. :tongue:

You're a bit spoilt for choice, when it comes to curries in Leeds, @vickster. On your "broad-brush" request? I'd go for Tharavadu - OK, I want to try it, but I haven't (yet) managed to persuade family :sad:. They're not into dosas :sad:.
They don't only do Dosas though. Does look pretty expensive even when used to London

Googling Akbar brings up pictures of something with a boiled egg on it ... xx(

Last edited:
Top Bottom