Leeds-Liverpool canal there n back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Dobbin

4 of us recently did this in 2 days. Total travel time 20H 10M (thats working out the mean numbers between our 4 Strava records) £7000 raised for Manorlands. In 2010 a bloke did it in 22H 38M and he's the one who comes up on a search. I think we've got the quickest time. I wonder if anybody has done this quicker...I'd like to meet them :-)

Well done, and you raised money too

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's a shared-use path... not really the place for speed records. Call me a killjoy!

Indeed. However, considering the OP rode c. 250 miles on an often rubbish surface, I applaud the effort.

I have the option of commuting between the Shipley - Leeds section, and whilst I've ridden it a handful of times, I was glad to get back onto tarmac. The backside took a thorough pounding.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a shared-use path... not really the place for speed records. Call me a killjoy!
You're a killjoy...

Mind you, you are right! I have almost been shoved into the Rochdale canal several times by young guys overtaking me at stupidly high speed. (Usually screaming "On yer left" [or right] about 3 milliseconds before they are alongside me!)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I am just getting my confidence on my bike and often use the canal path. It is quite busy with walkers, dog walkers etc., but I am amazed at the number of cyclists who come belting along the narrow path, shouting or ringing a bell at the last minute. Very anti-social.

MarkF

Guru

Got to agree with this, the surface is now so good Apperley Bridge to Leeds that a good % of commuters can use road bikes.....at an inappropriate speed, there is now friction & someone will get smacked before long.

MarkF

Guru
I've done shipley to armley on 23mm road tyres after visiting my BIL, who told me it was passable, well it was... just! I feel your pain.

Well done OP

When was this? Now only Shipley to Apperley Bridge is a bit rough, but still easily doable on 23's, l do that weekly. It's good from there on into Leeds centre.

pjd57

Veteran
Since we're talking about Leeds....best route north , heading towards Glasgow ?

Might not happen , just an idea for next year.

OP
OP
J

John Dobbin

You're a killjoy...

Mind you, you are right! I have almost been shoved into the Rochdale canal several times by young guys overtaking me at stupidly high speed. (Usually screaming "On yer left" [or right] about 3 milliseconds before they are alongside me!)
TBH we weren't trying to do as fast as we could, we just didnt do too many rest/food stops. 1 at burnley, other at wigan Macdonald's...god, that tasted sooo good :-)

Top Bottom