Leeds - Liverpool canal West Yorkshire section ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hi - just wanting to probe the collective CycleChat wisdom, about cycling alongside the Leeds - Liverpool canal, if anyone can chip in?

I'm struggling to get motivated to get out and ride at the moment, for various reasons, so I thought I'd put the hybrid back on the road (last ridden over a year ago..!) and get the train out to somewhere like Steeton & Silsden and cycle along the towpath back to Leeds.
I mentioned this to a mate and he reckoned that much of what passes for the tow path from Silsden down to Bingley was a muddy slippery mess last time he cycled it, although it was a couple of years ago.
Apparently it was that bad he nearly ended up in the canal at one point. :ohmy:

Certainly the sections lower down that can be seen from the train look much better and ideally suited for a leisurely ride, but I don't fancy going mud-plugging (or swimming!) especially given the recent wet weather.

Any thoughts? Has anyone cycled this recently?
Also any comments on what I can expect? Thanks.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I'd give it a whirl, I mean how bad could it get?

MarkF

Guru
Only the 1 mile or so out of Silsden was bad but that has now been re-surfaced. But there is a nicer sustrans route from Silsden centre to the towpath anyway.

Silsden to Dock Lane bridge (Shipley) is a good surface. From there to Apperley Bridge is the worst part, dry it's fine but there are large puddles after rain, the surface is still solid though. Apperley Bridge to Leeds is the best surfaced section.

So, even in wet weather only a 20 min section is not good.

Top Bottom