Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For those popping to the pub in Scarborough with their bikes before heading off to the train station they will need somewhere to securely park the bike. The Wetherspoons has nowhere but you have a couple of options:

1) The Railway Station itself has a purpose built bike rack on the platform. It's a couple of minutes walk from the pub but, of course, out of view for you while in the pub so maybe that's not so great

2) Outside the Wetherspoons there are a couple of locking options. There is actually a bike rack just down the street but it will be out of view and with a lot of pedestrians so I think not great. Maybe better is the metal fence immediately outside the pub or the large directional sign outside the pub
2016-09-22.png

Note that the final 50m of our route to the pub is actually the wrong way down a one way street (from the traffic lights you can see in the picture). Just hop off and walk this bit to the pub. The station is through those lights and immediately on the left

doughnut

Veteran
Mrs @doughnut could drive the car near the double tree Hilton which is v near the south exit on Wharf Approach. She'd have to stay with the car or pay to park but that'd work?m
Yes, this looks good for Mrs D to hang about with the car for 20 mins or so. It seems like you will pass by on the route after the first couple of hundred yards, so I can wait till the last minute just in case anyones train is late. Here is the place:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...x42046b71b2deeda9!8m2!3d53.793356!4d-1.549655

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Possibly a daft question: I've downloaded the route gpx file (thanks @nickyboy ), but I'm actually joining the ride at Cross Gates.

Will my Garmin 810 just realise that I've joined the route part way in, or will it try and direct me to the start 5 miles away in Leeds...? I know that as we're riding as a group I won't actually need to navigate the route as I can just follow someone else, but my OCD is twitching. :wacko:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Possibly a daft question: I've downloaded the route gpx file (thanks @nickyboy ), but I'm actually joining the ride at Cross Gates.

Will my Garmin 810 just realise that I've joined the route part way in, or will it try and direct me to the start 5 miles away in Leeds...? I know that as we're riding as a group I won't actually need to navigate the route as I can just follow someone else, but my OCD is twitching. :wacko:

Here is what you do.....

Get the Leeds - Scarborough route onto your Garmin in the usual way. When you're in position at Crossgates select this route. Your Garmin will ask you "Do you want to navigate to the start of the route Y/N?". You select No. Then you're good to go

mike3121

I'm in the Lord Rosebery Wetherspoons right now. Plenty of ales at the bar for those who are into the ales, Stella Artois is flowing down my neck nicely. Just to let you all know it is very busy in here but wetherspooons usually are. Looking forward to a few more well earned pints here tomorrow night.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm in the Lord Rosebery Wetherspoons right now. Plenty of ales at the bar for those who are into the ales, Stella Artois is flowing down my neck nicely. Just to let you all know it is very busy in here but wetherspooons usually are. Looking forward to a few more well earned pints here tomorrow night.

Thanks Mike. I'm hoping that what happens is we get a few CCers in the pub early doors after fish and chips and we snag a couple of tables. I'm going to polish off my fish and chips and nip to my B&B which is about 50m up the road from the chippy. Quick shower and change and I'm out for the night.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just been looking at the 'escape route' from Leeds - it looks pretty complicated until we get to Manston. :whistle: Good job you did that recce, @nickyboy! After that, about 10 miles of crosswinds from the south until we get to the first stop at Cawood..

And then ... (drum roll!) ... a heavenly massive cross/tailwind for 60 miles to Scarborough - yay! :smile:

My bike has been cleaned and lubed.

See y'all in the morning! :hello:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've just been looking at the 'escape route' from Leeds - it looks pretty complicated until we get to Manston. :whistle: Good job you did that recce, @nickyboy! After that, about 10 miles of crosswinds from the south until we get to the first stop at Cawood..

And then ... (drum roll!) ... a heavenly massive cross/tailwind for 60 miles to Scarborough - yay! :smile:

My bike has been cleaned and lubed.

See y'all in the morning! :hello:

Looking good isn't it?
Just prepping now, looking forward to meeting everyone at Cross Gates in the morning.
:okay:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
....20 degrees

Bike cleaned. Drivetrain glinting...I did mention the drivetrain inspection didn't I? I do have certain standards to uphold on my rides

As mentioned I'm going to get to Leeds early as I need to re-recce the first couple of miles as my guide seems to have disappeared from CC. You'll see me in the café/South Exit/Hilton car park

All prepped and sorted. Taste buds sharpened in prospect of those end of ride award winning fish and chips.
Weather and wind direction looking good.

Roll on tomorrow!

Top Bottom