Left hook of note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I nipped up to the post office to collect a parcel this morning, and just as I left home some muppet in a blue minivan did an amazing left hook on me. He only drew level with me as I was entering the left hand turn (I was also turning left), and due to my loud OI he ended up in the middle of the junction and in the way of another car. Pity I forgot to turn my camera on!!

I'm amazed the idiot would be on the wrong side of the road to overtake me going into a busy corner, and stay on the wrong side of the road all the way round the corner.

I didn't feel in any danger because I was well out in primary to turn left, and thus had plenty of space to duck left and avoid his idiocy. He must have felt like a pratt though, given the oncoming traffic. I shouted "You IDIOT" and put my finger to my temple to say I thought he was a nutter. That was enough for him either to wave sorry or pull a sign at me.

That's usually enough for them to chase you down and try to kill you!!

:rolleyes: Just as well you weren't going straight on at that junction!

As you say the primary position protected you around the corner, but it sounds like it wouldn't have protected you if you were going straight on. It does work the vast majority of the time, but there isn't much you can do against these nutters!!:rolleyes:

[Steve Austin/Col mode] I'm amazed you were in primary. It's obviously the wrong place and you provoked the incident. You're a danger to all right-thinking Daily Mail readers [end Steve Austin/Col mode]

Glad you're all right.

Twenty Inch said:
[Steve Austin/Col mode] I'm amazed you were in primary. It's obviously the wrong place and you provoked the incident. You're a danger to all right-thinking Daily Mail readers [end Steve Austin/Col mode]

Glad you're all right.

:rolleyes:

Steve just stopped posting in my muppet thread. I think that was his way of admitting he was wrong...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I'd have slowed/stopped earlier if I was going straight on, I could tell what he was planning from his engine note. (And I'd have been able to hear it with my headphones on too, although this time I wasn't wearing them)

col

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:

Glad you're all right.

Very good:smile:But you know what im going to ask now dont you?Why were in primary for a left turn,you said yourself it was clear,as you were able to move to your left;)

I very rarely read papers either:biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Because of parked cars on the leadup to the turn, and because I needed to leave space just in case of a left hook. You'd be pretty stupid not to take primary through this junction in particular. That applies to most junctions in general for that matter, since that's where most accidents occur.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Because of parked cars on the leadup to the turn, and because I needed to leave space just in case of a left hook. You'd be pretty stupid not to take primary through this junction in particular. That applies to most junctions in general for that matter, since that's where most accidents occur.

You didnt say there were parked cars forcing you out,yes you would be pretty stupid to try and cycle through parked cars:smile:

col said:
Very good:smile:But you know what im going to ask now dont you?Why were in primary for a left turn,you said yourself it was clear,as you were able to move to your left;)

I very rarely read papers either:biggrin:

:evil: Are you serious?

Benefits are twofold.

- Better line through the corner

- Helps defend against ignorant f**kwits who would rather left hook you than have to add 2 seconds to their journey!

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
You didnt say there were parked cars forcing you out,yes you would be pretty stupid to try and cycle through parked cars:smile:

LOL, primary is relative to the flow of traffic, not necessarily to parked cars or lane markings. I went further out not just enough to avoid the cars, but much further out still to avoid the door zone as well.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Col,

This is why you take the primary position when approaching or passing juntions:

Point taken,but to turn left if its clear?if he had mentioned the parked cars,it would have been clearer.:evil:

That is like asking why would you signal a turn if it is clear? You should do it always so that it is natural and so that the time that you are under pressure or daydreaming, you do it without thinking. Not to mention that plain and simple it sets you up for a better line through the corner.

Top Bottom