Left leg in, left leg out, in out in out

Which foot do you put down first

• Left foot

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Right foot

• No preference

• I'm hardcore and track stand all the time!

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I put the right foot down most times but do have a dabble at showing off to the motorists a little balancing act every so often at lights i know have a short fuse ! :rolleyes:

GrasB

Veteran
I tend to put the foot down that's away from the flow of traffic I'm in, e.g I put my left foot down when I'm to the left side of the road. This means I'm not in danger of having a car put its nose where my foot was going to be.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
ComedyPilot said:
Both, sometimes right, sometimes left, sometimes neither.

+1

Doesn't bother me which foot I put down or start on, and occasionally I do try a balance at the lights if they are about to change but I can't actually trackstand (much as I would like to:blush:).

Virtual DBP

Q. for motorcyclists... are any of you left footed?

reason i ask is that i think it has more to do with what 'footed' you are than any motorcycle trends.

i've ridden bikes all my life and every time i stop on the motorbike, the left foot goes down instinctively.

however on a bicycle, as i'm left footed and use my stronger foot to push off i keep it locked in and put down my right. again this happens instinctively.

marooncat

Left for me (apart from times when I have to stop in a hurry and then both feet tend to come out in an attempt not to have a clipless moment ;)).

I am sure when I did my "cycling proficiency test" when I was a kid I was taught to start with the right pedal at 2pm and that is what I always have done.

Bman

Guru
Left foot goes down. The first pedal stroke is with the right foot even though my physiotherapist said I should favor my left leg more.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
marooncat said:
I am sure when I did my "cycling proficiency test" when I was a kid I was taught to start with the right pedal at 2pm and that is what I always have done.

I was told it was because if you fell, you would fall towards the pavement. To be honest how many of us when starting fall off our bikes, and you often get a steep camber on the left (which may be the reason that you fall off:smile:).

It could also be to do with being able to put a foot down on the kurb, but when you stop at a junction how many times do you want to be sitting in a position where you have one foot on the kerb. Me I want to be in the middle of that lane.

Top Bottom