Left my bike at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooncat

I have been cycling to work for 4 years and today I have had to leave my bike in the office for the first time just cause I could not face cycling home. My legs are so stiff :smile:

Not really sure what the cause is, I had a horse riding lesson last night and we did work harder than normal but I don't think I did enough to make me feel like this. Felt fine when I woke up and did the 10 miles to work no problems, legs felt a bit stiff at lunchtime but the sometimes do feel like that and a half hour walk normally loosens them off fine but today I felt worse after the walk.

Decided mid afternoon that I was wimping out (final decision was made when the wind got up, headwind all the way home would have finished me off), left bike in the stores in the office and walked (slowly) to BF work to get a lift home.

I feel really ashamed, the first time I have not managed to cycle home, there have been days that I feel I am going backwards but not days when I just could not face it like today :becool:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maybe you are coming down with something? - besides a change will make you appreciate the bike:biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
sounds like you are getting flu or something. don't beat yourself up about it. most people can't be arsed to get on a bike in the first place!

OP
OP
M

marooncat

I have had a sniffly nose for about the past week but cycled three days last week wihtout it being an issue.

The plan is that I will get the bus in tomorrow and cycle home but if I still feel like this I will drive and leave the bike at work for another day.

CotterPin

+ 1 to not beating yourself up, marooncat. Cycling should be fun - if it's not, don't feel guilty when you're not up for it. After all, it is physical exercise and if you're not feeling at your best, give it a rest umtil you are feeling better and can enjoy it again.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i sort of know how you feel. it was windy on the trip home and my legs are full of the near 100 miles i did at the weekend. as the family are away with the car, i won't get a break from the bike 'til friday.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think you have nothing to be ashamed about, ten miles after a days work is no small feat. Take yourself a break and come back refreshed and stronger in mind, body and spirit.;):smile:

OP
OP
M

marooncat

Thanks guys, I was feeling like I had let myself down over not forcing myself to take the bike.

Snorri, I have to confess, 10 miles is the extended route to work, the direct (well directish) one is 5.5 miles and had I cycled tonight that would have been the one I took!!

Tynan

Veteran
I miss the odd day all the time for various reasons, I enjoy PT for day or two, warm, easy, different, drives me ab dabs after that and getting back on the bike feels like a joy

snorri

Legendary Member
marooncat said:
Snorri, I have to confess, 10 miles is the extended route to work, the direct (well directish) one is 5.5 miles and had I cycled tonight that would have been the one I took!!
You are just too honest for your own good.;):biggrin:
Anyway, 5.5 miles is a heck of a lot more than most workers cycle in a day.:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Tynan said:
I miss the odd day all the time for various reasons, I enjoy PT for day or two, warm, easy, different, drives me ab dabs after that and getting back on the bike feels like a joy
Anyone translate this from Eastender Patois to English, please? ;)

I feel really ashamed, the first time I have not managed to cycle home, there have been days that I feel I am going backwards but not days when I just could not face it like today

Don't feel ashamed.You should do what you feel is right.

Better safe than sorry.

I had a a rough ride in today and was coughing a lot again (and struggling yet again).Then another cyclist at work said it was windy.Doh.No wonder I struggled.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I know, some of you manly racing blokes always have to push for the best time, BUT...THIS old man doesn't fight the wind. When going into a headwind, I gear down, relax, and spin. "I'll get there when I get there!" I just relax and try to enjoy the scenery. ;-) My other option is to beat myself half to death, fighting Mother Nature, and get to my destination 1 minute sooner!

Flyingfox

I had a day like that on Monday - beautiful day, got my cycling gear on, but just felt generally lethargic and not 'quite right'. So changed and got the train, felt much better yesterday and got back on my bike, struggled a bit going home though as there was a strong head wind, but still managed to overtake a couple of guys on MTBs, so well worth it :biggrin:

Top Bottom