Left or right ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I put my left foot down, not sure but I'm sure I start with right foot up. However this is missing the point - at a junction you shouldn't be close enough to the kerb to put your foot on it in the first place!:headshake:;)

Drago

Legendary Member
As a rule it should be left foot down. If you cock it up and fall over you'll fall away from the traffic flow. For mos people that also leave their strongest leg in the power position.

That said, it's hardly a big deal. So long as you're conscious of what you're doing and position your bike accordingly then dab with the right if that works better for you.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I did a bikeability course when I learnt to ride, and the instructor told me off for putting my right foot down as she said that meant I was ‘leaning into the traffic.’ Although this was a general point about stopping/starting I think, rather than when you’re at traffic lights.

But to be honest I still put my right foot down, for me it feels more natural and having got half a dozen or so commutes under my belt I haven’t felt that it’s made any difference to my safety. If I've stopped at a junction with no one behind me i'll put sometimes put my left down to try and get used to it though!
As a Bikeability Instructor Trainer (I teach the instructors) I can tell you she would have failed her instructor training course if she told you that. It's not about what foot goes down first, it's about makng sure its safe to stop that matters.

Top Bottom