Left or right ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, growing up in the UK, I always assumed I used my left foot as its the way the bike leans when you stop, and it's away from traffic or where you can put your foot up on the kerb...... I rode a bicycle before a motorcycle, so I don't think the rear brake thing doesn't hold for me.

Now living in a country where driving is on the right, I keep meaning to practice unclipping my right foot -problem is, I always forget! It is something I'd like to do though -being able to use either foot/leg to stop and set off is handy I'd think.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I should also add that I am left handed generally, in addition to keeping my left foot clipped in.

Davidc

Guru
Makes sense to me to put the weaker leg's foot down to give maximum starting force. I usually put my left foot down and that's why.

I think when I did cycling proficiency (1961) it was compulsory to put the left foot on the kerb, but the official instruction then was also to ride in the gutter. Not from our instructor though - he was decades ahead of his time and suggested not leaving the b*g*e*s enough room to get past. Except for during the test of course.

Ern1e

Über Member
Dont use clips but always left foot down ! but right handed so it seems natural for me to use right leg to start.

Dont use clips but always left foot down ! but right handed so it seems natural for me to use right leg to start.
This just made me think. I'm one of those weirdos that are right handed but left footed, (i also play golf and cricket left handed) but i always (when it's conscious at least) unclip my left foot first.

D

Deleted member 1258

Out of habit mount and dismount on the left, I've always put left foot down, been doing that for almost 40 years.

U

User33236

I'm left handed, left footed and unclip my right foot because it feels 'right'. Always get on my bike from the ride side too.

bpsmith

Veteran
I ride a motorbike and always have left foot down and right foot on the brake. Naturally followed suit with bicycle.

PK99

Legendary Member
Get on from the left, clip in right then left, clip out left first.... All to keep right leg away from mucky chain?

Top Bottom