Left or right ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Get on from the left, clip in right then left, clip out left first.... All to keep right leg away from mucky chain?
Yup, this. I can't get on the bike from the right side, when I try my brain stops working.

Motorbike history may be why left foot comes out and down, but could equally be camber of road. My right foot is unlikely to unclip for the duration of the ride. For long stops I slide off the seat and stand with the right foot clipped in at the 6 o clock position.

My only clipless moment so far was losing balance and going over the right hand side of the bike. I've had a few similar near misses.

Right handed but left eye dominant and almost ambidextrous. But a bit of a klutz.

Sharky

Guru
My dad always taught me to mount the bike from the pavement side, so I've always un clipped my left foot first.

But got me thinking. What do you do when riding on the continent? Do you do the opposite and get off the right side, on the traffic side or adapt. Also in the uk, we drive on the left and when on a track, we also ride on the left, going anti clock wise. But the whole world rides the track anti clockwise. It must be a bit strange for them at first.

I used to go ice skating at streatham and everybody went round anti clock wise. They always had a 10 min session going clockwise. I used to find this very difficult.

Which hand do you use to stir a cup of tea?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm right-footed and pedal off with that foot. Being lazy, I borrow the kerb at stops so I unclip my left foot and rest it on top. If I'm not near a kerb, I unclip both feet, stay in the saddle, and pose, Rudolf Nureyev-like, on my points.
Rudy.jpg

NOT!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
And thinking similarly, why do athletes run around the track anti-clockwise? Is because in the 100m people are so used to seeing things proceed left to right (As in reading a book?).

FWIW I'm all over with which hand/foot I use... Write with both hands though am naturally left handed but now just pickup the pen with whatever hand is closest. Use scissors with left hand.... fork left handed...knife left handed (swap round for when I use a knife and a fork!). Computer mouse right hand.....stir tea, left hand.... handgun, right hand. Cricket swing... right handed. Right footed kicking a ball. Unclip, left foot. Wink with either eye but fall asleep with both eyes closed. I'm all messed up.

But got me thinking. What do you do when riding on the continent? Do you do the opposite and get off the right side, on the traffic side or adapt. Also in the uk, we drive on the left and when on a track, we also ride on the left, going anti clock wise. But the whole world rides the track anti clockwise. It must be a bit strange for them at first.

Which hand do you use to stir a cup of tea?

And thinking similarly, why do athletes run around the track anti-clockwise? Is because in the 100m people are so used to seeing things proceed left to right (As in reading a book?).

FWIW I'm all over with which hand/foot I use... Write with both hands though am naturally left handed but now just pickup the pen with whatever hand is closest. Use scissors with left hand.... fork left handed...knife left handed (swap round for when I use a knife and a fork!). Computer mouse right hand.....stir tea, left hand.... handgun, right hand. Cricket swing... right handed. Right footed kicking a ball. Unclip, left foot. Wink with either eye but fall asleep with both eyes closed. I'm all messed up.
Track running goes around left handed because most people are right footed.

Sharky

Guru
For God's sake man! Only utter weirdos use their left hand.:eek:

Forgot to add - I never use my hands, always use a spoon!

BigAl68

Über Member
Right side mainly but some times left. Mainly because I have foot drop on the left from an accident 30 years ago and can miss clipping in on the left sometimes and that's just crap when trying to get away in traffic

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
This thread's missing a poll, so we can see whether the lefties or the righties have the larger numbers :boxing:. I unclip always on the right, by the way.

Top Bottom