Left or right ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
Left foot on the floor, the right always stays in the pedal. Just feels right but wish I could do it the other way round because sometimesI lean the bike against my right leg and get oil on me!

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't have clips but im a leftie, easier to stay sat in the saddle and put a foot on the curb
no clips here either, and I'm a leftie too, but i always put my right foot down... I guess there's no right or wrong way to do it.

Philh

Über Member
To add to the debate I am also a motorcyclist, you have to get off on the left side because that's where the stand is. When stopping it is always recommended to cover the rear brake in case of a collision from behind, holding the front brake will pitch you over the bars. Starting off on a hill it is also recommended to hold the bike on the rear brake to give max control over the throttle.

So moving to a bike it is natural to unclip and put the left foot down, also to mount from the left so the right foot is first on the pedal.

compo

Veteran
I am like the majority, left foot down and mount/dismount from the left. Occasionally when riding (and I have when motorcycling) and I have to stop for a short time such as at lights, as long as I am virtually on "auto pilot" I can find myself doing a lovely trackstand. The second I realise I am doing it though I have to put my foot down.

Bryony

Veteran
I unclip my left foot!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Funny this subject cropped up. I've just got back from a tough couple of windswept hours and towards the end of the ride my right calf started to tighten up. I unclipped and straightened my leg for a few seconds to ease it off, and when I tried to clip back into the pedal I couldn't and had to stop and re-attach while stationary. I never have any bother clipping in with the left foot after moving off.

I unclip and stand with either foot depending on nothing at all really. I will unclip kerb foot and stand on it (foot and kerb) ONLY IF someone is claiming the lane, if not it's either foot and stood in centre of lane.

vickster

Legendary Member
Always left, it's the one by the kerb not in the road (mostly), never thought about it, just seems logical

It does mean that I often end up with cramp in my right foot if not unclipped for ages ouch :ohmy:

H Bomb

Regular
I did a bikeability course when I learnt to ride, and the instructor told me off for putting my right foot down as she said that meant I was ‘leaning into the traffic.’ Although this was a general point about stopping/starting I think, rather than when you’re at traffic lights.

But to be honest I still put my right foot down, for me it feels more natural and having got half a dozen or so commutes under my belt I haven’t felt that it’s made any difference to my safety. If I've stopped at a junction with no one behind me i'll put sometimes put my left down to try and get used to it though!

Top Bottom