Left Right Centre

FOR or AGAINST

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
All proper countries drive on the British side, the rest either like the French (:eek:) or are just crap countries.

Mr Pig

Against. We're following Europe far too much as it is. I'd bin their Bill Of Human Rights for a start.

domtyler

Über Member
I'd be for it as we should have a single standard within the EU.

It would make it far easier to drive over to the continent and for them to drive over here.

I remember the last time I went on holiday to Italy and we hired a car there, as I was getting used to driving on the right in the left hand drive car, every time my wife would say turn left up ahead, I would instinctively go right instead! (and vice versa) :ohmy: This carried on, even when I would think hard about my left and right, obviously accompanied by much piss taking from Mrs T. Eventually it was her turn to drive and my turn to navigate, "Take the next right up here" says I, what does she do? Left she goes!! :eek:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'd be for it, just cos it'd be a nice change. But I think we should phase in the chageover... so this year buses and lorries drive on the right, next year cars join in, then two-wheeled vehicles, etc etc :eek:

(Doh! RT beat me to it!)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, apart from the issue of all our cars having the steering wheels on the wrong side, there's no inherent difference between driving on right and left, it's all based on the days when chaps carried swords anyway. So in those terms, I wouldn't be that bothered.

And right hand drive cars can be driven on the continent, so it's not impossible, it would just take more thought and care - god knows, some people seem to need an extra reason to be careful, maybe that would do it.

I was thinking a while back, actually, that perhaps one reason some people don't leave enough room when passing is that they are sitting on the far side of the car from a cyclist, so to them, the gap between 'them' and the cyclist is 'whatever space they leave PLUS the width of the passenger seat'. Perhaps if the driver was on the kerb side, they might be more aware of how close they get...?

Top Bottom